Forum / Up for debate

• Img_20220916_174315_923.thumb
    Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 08, 04:26pm

Can prose reformatted into stanzas as verse be considered poetry?

• Angelcity1.thumb
    Chris Okum
    Feb 09, 12:01am

Yes.

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 09, 12:28am

What is your argument as a proponent?

• Img_5429.thumb
    Dianne McKnight-Warren
    Feb 09, 02:42pm

Yes, it can be but isn't always, obviously. Blank verse is unrhymed iambic pentameter and iambic is the natural rhythm of English and lines can be longer than five meters.

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 09, 02:52pm

Thanks, Dianne. I guess my argument (for sake of argument) is that writing a piece of prose -- written as prose initially -- then formatting it into stanzas of verse to be passed off as poetry seems rather less than genuine. I remember an interview John Updike gave and he felt the same way. Not that Updike (or anyone, certainly myself) was necessarily an authority on the subject, since of course it is strictly subjective.

• Img_5429.thumb
    Dianne McKnight-Warren
    Feb 09, 03:11pm

This is the first stanza of Ex-Basketball Player, a poem by Updike.

Pearl Avenue runs past the high-school lot,
    Bends with the trolley tracks, and stops, cut off
    Before it has a chance to go two blocks,
    At Colonel McComsky Plaza. Berth's Garage
    Is on the corner facing west, and there,
    Most days, you'll find Flick Webb, who helps Berth out.

To me, the whole poem could be formatted into paragraphs, but of course Updike was a prose master.

It's an interesting questioning Jeffrey.

• Img_5429.thumb
    Dianne McKnight-Warren
    Feb 09, 03:13pm

question

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 09, 03:25pm

Definitely one of his most-celebrated. I doubt, though, that he wrote it out initially as prose then reformatted into verse. But I do see your point in general, that the poem could be turned into a paragraph as if it were meant to be prose, and probably have a similar effect. I just don't think that starting a piece of writing strictly as prose and then reworking its purpose as a poem is very noble.

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 09, 03:28pm

On a side note, I met Updike at a weekend seminar/reading/forum in Cincinnati in 2002. Even got lucky enough to be photographed with him. There's a book on the event (of course I am not mentioned anywhere LOL).

• Img_5429.thumb
    Dianne McKnight-Warren
    Feb 09, 03:50pm

Gary P. met him once too. You should ask him about it.

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Feb 09, 03:53pm

I thought I might weigh in here because a lot of my writing heroes would disagree with you--James Tate, E.E.Cummings, Emily Dickinson. I just think it gets into very bad places to want to tell someone else how they should write or create something. It's the freedom of making your own choices which gives great satisfaction in art. When Andy Warhol wanted to paint soup cans he was told a serious painter only paints famous or rich people,landscapes, or bowls of fruit.In other words, we have a certain way of doing things and if you don't adhere you will be surely kicked out of our rare, but boring society. Thank God he didn't listen. The Beatles couldn't read or write music, but they are considered to be the best in a century, maybe ever. Thank God they didn't listen to the naysayers--and there were many. Still are. Rules are just for rule followers. No one is holding a gun to your head as you write. I think invention and risk are just fine with any kind of art any kind of person might want to make, and it shouldn't be up to you to tell them how they must do it. Do you really think there is only one right way? Your way, or what you believe, or what you've been taught? How closed-minded can you get? Come on. Get a life. Everybody is entitled to freedom of expression. That's their choice, not yours, and not anybody else. You're taking all the fun out of it. Nobody has to read anything they don't want to, or like everything they read. That's what makes the literary world go round. We're all different. Different ideas, different sensibilities, different experiences. Different choices. No one should feel like they can't write the way they want to or about anything they want to. And who are you to call that lazy? You have no idea how hard people work at their art because you are only you--a person who goes around judging others who are different because they don't work and act like you would if you were them. I hope you are not a teacher. If you are, do us all a favor and get out of that profession before you do irreparable harm to young minds.

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 09, 04:14pm

Well, thanks for the reply, Darryl, I guess. Not really sure why you feel personally offended. And I don't know why you think I am judging anyone -- I certainly am not. I also never said anyone is lazy, nor was that intended. I only brought this up for debate, and never meant to rub anyone the wrong way. Like I said, it's strictly subjective.

• Img_5429.thumb
    Dianne McKnight-Warren
    Feb 09, 04:15pm

This is a lively discussion!

IMO, it's helpful to know rules in order to break them. A teacher told me once that you have to be able to tour before you can tour de force.

I hope more people engage.

Darryl Price
    Feb 09, 04:38pm

I was just flipping around on my phone and I saw these words: Do Not Negotiate Who You Are. I thought that was good advice. It doesn't mean don't continue to grow as a human being. To me, it means seek authenticity as you go about being yourself. So, to all the young writers on this site, I would amend that saying to: Do not negotiate who you are as a writer. And To Jeffrey--you know I love you, Brother. It's okay to disagree about stuff. We're both just trying to do the best we can with what we got. Good thread.

• Angelcity1.thumb
    Chris Okum
    Feb 09, 05:00pm

Anything can be poetry. You can type of text from your car's owner's manual and it's poetry. There are no rules. I side with Kenneth Goldsmith on this, not John Updike.

• Img_5429.thumb
    Dianne McKnight-Warren
    Feb 09, 05:20pm

That's terrifying though. What? No framework? Nothing? (I have to go sit in the corner now. I'm pretty sure I'll never write again.)

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 09, 05:20pm

Thanks, Chris, but I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on that point. Poetry -- in its purest sense -- is not prose. They are two different exercises/expressions. Prose from an owner's manual -- or a newspaper article, financial proxy statement, for example -- is never meant to be considered poetic, and turning that into verse/stanzas doesn't automatically make it so. But, as Darryl says, we can all agree to disagree and still get along.

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 09, 05:24pm

However, I have seen found poems that sometimes come off as "poetic". So I guess maybe anything is possible, depending on what it is and how the writer writes/presents it.

Darryl Price
    Feb 09, 05:54pm

Take a deep breath, and then take a deep dive into Walt Whitman. Charles Bukowski. Octavio Paz. John Ashbery. ....

"It is likely I would not have devoted myself to poetry in this world which remains insensitive to it, if poetry were not a morality."--Jean Cocteau

"The night drags on. She tries to read.
    She feeds the snakes. She yawns
    over an abyss. It's such a bore--Tom Disch

Go very very deep reading into Kenneth Patchen, Pablo Neruda, and Margaret Atwood and James Tate(a master poet who does whatever he wants, invents new ways to do it, and surprises and delights every time)Let's not forget Leonard Cohen.

You'll have loads of fun, I promise.

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 09, 06:03pm

And of course those are actual poets, who write actual poetry, and not prose somehow "turned into" poetry.

• Angelcity1.thumb
    Chris Okum
    Feb 09, 06:20pm

Art (or a poem) is what the artist (or poet) says it is. Duchamp already established this over 100 years ago. The debate has been settled. If a urinal can be a sculpture, then all bets are off, all "rules" are worthless.

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 09, 06:30pm

I think the point is being missed, but so be it.

• Angelcity1.thumb
    Chris Okum
    Feb 09, 06:34pm

What a bizarre conversation to be having in the year 2023, about what constitutes what. I thought these matters were only applicable to the early 20th century, if even that late. And the point is not being missed. You asked if prose can be converted into stanzas as verse ad be considered poetry. My answer is still yes, of course. You can do whatever you want. If you want to take 90 minutes of footage of your cat eating out of the garbage and call it a feature film you can do that as well. The world is yours.

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 09, 06:37pm

Well, Chris, so be it.

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 09, 06:38pm

If I thought it was going to turn into this, I would never have brought it up.

• Angelcity1.thumb
    Chris Okum
    Feb 09, 06:40pm

No worries, Jeffrey. No one's mad. I'm not mad. If anything, I'm encouraging you to follow your instincts. You obviously had an idea. I think it's a good one. Unless you brought it up because you are totally opposed to it. In that case, still, be free, make you want, as you see fit. Cheers.

• Img_5429.thumb
    Dianne McKnight-Warren
    Feb 09, 06:42pm

Don't apologize. This is the liveliest Fictionaut has been in years.

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 09, 07:42pm

Definitely no more forum posts for me.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Feb 10, 12:41am

Jeffrey; Don't bail on a discussion this interesting, just what the Forum should be for (IMO).

No one seems to mention the possibility, explored by Baudelaire among others, that prose could BE poetry as in this, excerpted from one of his numerous " Prose Poems " :

"Be always drunken. Nothing else matters : that is the only question. If you would not feel the horrible burden of Time weighing on your shoulders and crushing vou to the earth, be drunken continually..."

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 10, 12:47am

Thanks, David, but being attacked publicly in a forum is not something I (or anyone, I imagine) enjoys, nor definitely expects.

As for prose poems, those are without doubt fine; I've written a few myself. But they were meant to be that, and presented as such.

• Angelcity1.thumb
    Chris Okum
    Feb 10, 12:53am

No one attacked you, man. Come on.

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 10, 12:54am

Besides, as you can see, Mr. Okum considers the debate "over", so since he must be the authority in this post, I suppose it has to be.

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 10, 12:56am

Go back to D.P.'s tirade. Clearly a personal affront.

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 10, 01:03am

Apologies: Okum considers the matter settled.

• Angelcity1.thumb
    Chris Okum
    Feb 10, 01:24am

Your funny, dude. Keep up the hissy fit. What else you got?

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 10, 01:26am

Get it right -- it's YOU'RE.

• Angelcity1.thumb
    Chris Okum
    Feb 10, 01:31am

Who are you, Jeffrey?

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 10, 01:32am

Talk about a bizarre question. I don't truly think you really want to know.

• Angelcity1.thumb
    Chris Okum
    Feb 10, 01:36am

You the type of person who tries to score points with people by pointing out minor typos? I answered you original question with a yes, and then was pretty benign in my answers to you, going so far as to encourage you to do what you feel is right. I have my aesthetic beliefs, and you have yours. Don't act like a schmuck. Or you can, if you want. You seem to want to. So go all the way. Don't be half-assed about. Give me your best material. Ponting out a typo? Your better than that. Aren't you?

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 10, 01:37am

Done with this.

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 10, 01:48am

I want this entire forum thread deleted. Whoever can do that, please do so.

Darryl Price
    Feb 10, 07:55pm

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the Human Race!"--Dead Poets Society

"We will plant songs where there were curses."

"Writing poetry because there is no other way to speak."--Joy Harjo, poet Laureate of the United States

Darryl Price
    Feb 10, 08:10pm

Hey, Jeffrey, you've got to realize that poetry or any writing by writers is taken very seriously by them whether it comes off that way or not. Creative Writing is an important art form and deserves to be taken that way by critics. You don't have to like how or why people write like they do, but people work very hard to express themselves. To some it's an almost impossible task. To even attempt it is a brave thing to do in my opinion because you probably won't be heard. I want everyone to have every chance to create and express their thoughts and feelings through writing, whatever it is they wish to. Yes, rules can certainly apply as guidelines, like pads on bowling lane gutters, but I think it's okay, even imperative, to make mistakes, find your own way. No one is attacking you, they just want to voice their own opinions. Because like I said, writers are a feisty bunch. Writers have always been that way. Ready to mix it up over the very thing they love the most. But underneath, they're all just regular folk. You can't have a lively debate if everyone agrees with everybody else. It's all good.

• Self_portrait.thumb
    eamon byrne
    Feb 14, 10:07am

Blimey! Just when we thought Smiley had a mortgage on the joint.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Feb 14, 02:36pm

Eamon's right Jeffrey, you did all a favor by reminding us what the Forum was meant for. Thanks.

Illigetami non carborundum est. Something like that....

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 14, 05:37pm

Thanks, David. The thing is, I have been a member of FN nearly since its inception. Never have I been bullied on the site until recently. But I've been bullied elsewhere all my life, so one would think I'd be accustomed to it by now. I find it very strange indeed to be bullied by someone who includes "Be kind" in their profile. But WHO AM I to judge.

I have added my personal website to my own FN profile, in case anyone (non-bullies, that is) are interested.

Darryl Price
    Feb 14, 07:20pm

The point is: there is no one right way to write a poem.

I was bullied in school and at home. I don't think bullying is what you think it is. Bullying is violence, betrayal in trust, and emotional unbalancing. Done on purpose for ill intent. Bullies have always been with us, like sharks.

I'm more than willing to leave this site for good to people like you, if that is what you want. I don't need a pat on the head, or a rub on the heart, to believe in myself, but I won't be called names that are lies, Jeffrey.

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 14, 08:45pm

I know EXACTLY what bullying is, thank you. No one here has to be concerned over MY presence, because it is obvious it is not welcome. Very sad, indeed.

Jeffrey S. Callico
    Feb 14, 09:17pm

For the record: I never asked or told anyone on this to leave, and I never have/never would. Anyone who has done so certainly did that VOLUNTARILY, as have I.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.