Forum / Don't make a movie without watching this movie. Don't write a screenplay without watching this movie.

• Better.thumb

*IT IS A FOUR-HOUR FILM COURSE*.

Once Upon a Time in America (1984)
    10/10
    This is one of the greatest movies ever made!
    13 January 2023
    I can't believe this movie. I've never seen anything like it. You can't look away, not even for a second, not even for a single shot -- you're like, "what happened??" and not with trepidation or fear or annoyance you've missed something, you just want to see *every shot*. And you can't tell what's going to happen, either -- you can't even give away spoilers starting with the opening scenes, because even then it would qualify as spoilers because you don't know and can't *tell* what's going to happen. *Even the opening scenes count as spoilers*. This is one of the most majestic and confident cutting-between-time-frames I've ever seen -- it just ropes you in, and every part's equally interesting, every part just furthers the ropes and deepens the mystery. All it does is explain itself, from word one -- and more, and more. None of the sloppy editing and cuts that make an awkward leap in say Danny DeVito's "Hoffa" from the early '90s -- all the movie seems to do is identify bad ideas from other movies, and avoid them. The effect is spellbinding. Nobody's been better than they were in this movie -- they've only been *as good*. You won't be wasting your time watching this movie. I promise you.

https://www.imdb.com/review/rw8796209/?ref_=tt_urv

• Angelcity1.thumb
    Chris Okum
    Jan 18, 04:50pm

You are correct. It is a masterpiece.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.