Forum / Mr. Schmertz died on me.

• Better.thumb

He said he'd never seen anyone like me in twenty years of teaching. He said, on one of my papers, "Chris, you go from strength to strength." He had only a year left to go so it was awkward for me.

He tried to rope me into a writing tutorial, when Craig COLBERT wanted to do one, but I just couldn't do it. I need to do work and go home. It interferes with my classes.

Also, I was into what was happening in movies and music at the time. Nothing in writing was like 'Wild at Heart' for me, or 'Doolittle' or 'Nothing's Shocking.'

Plus, I had read my way around the horror genre growing up, and now I felt that moment was waning. Funnily enough, when Bret Easton ELLIS put out 'American PSYCHO,' I was like not interested, but I had just read that stuff all my life and left it behind.

I read Coupland, I read Leyner, I read Coover. But it wasn't enough. You need it by the metric ton.

What I realized was happening, though, was '2001' and 'Gravity's Rainbow' were saying: "You got a lotta nerve!" But I couldn't hear it at the time. Now I hear it: I've submitted to 'Gravity's Rainbow,' let it impose itself on me, and I've seen '2001' over and over again.

So now I've got these seven screenplays I have to finish:

'Leanna Gets to the Party'
    'Death!'
    'The Slenderest Thread.'
    'The Unworried'
    'Tornado'
    'The Cavewoman'

and

'Shark on the Beach'

Hopefully I'll get to them soon. Hopefully.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.