Forum / Another definition of Flash

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Aug 11, 09:26am

A while ago, Sam Rasnake triggered a lively series by asking for a definition of Flash.

Here's another definition I found in REALITY HUNGER BY David Shields:

"...Still, the short-short [read "Flash"]... feels particularly relevant to modern life. Delivering nonly highlights and no downtime, the short-short seems to me to gain access to contemporary feeling states more effectively than the conventional story does. As rap, movie trailers, stand-up comedy, fast fod, commercials, sound bites, phone sex, bumper stickers, e-mail, voice mail and Headline News all do short-shorts cut to the chase. Short-shorts eschew the furniture-moving, the table-setting typical of the longer story. {italics] Here, in a page or two , I'll attempt to unveil for you my impression of life....In the best of short-shorts, the writer seems to have figured out a way to stage, in a very compressed voice, his own metaphysic. What in the traditional story are character and plot in the short-short are supplanted by theme and idea...the momentum of the short-short is lyrical in Nature--What does this mean?--rather than narrative in nature: What happens next? My reaction to the a lot of longer stories is often "Remind me again why I read this? or, The point being?"
    ...I seem to want the moral,psychological news to be delivered NOW, and this(the rapid emotional-delivery system) is something the short-short can do exceedinlgy well. Even as they're exploring extremely serious and complex material, short-short writers frequently use a certain mock modesty to give the work a tossed-off tone and disarm the reader. The reader thinks he's reading a diary entry when in fact it's a lyric essay or prose poem. Short-shorts remind me f algebraic equations or geometry proofes or jigsaw puzzles or carom shots or very cruel jokes. They're magic tricks, with meaning."

He goes on to mention several examples including Amy Hemphel's " In the Animal Shelter."

Leaving aside the obvious irony that Shields's definition/description expends more verbiage than many examples of the form, he makes a pretty good case for it at this time.

And I say this as an inveterate practisioner of longer stories.

• Dsc_0162.thumb
    Michelle Elvy
    Aug 15, 01:25am

I have this book ordered, coming my way soon -- I keep reading so much about it; have already quoted excerpts of it to friends. Very eager to read...

Never think of short fiction as magic, but I like his point.

And I like the way you point out his rather longwinded definition -- that is funny! But we tend to go on and on when it comes to definition, don't we?

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Aug 15, 09:09pm

It's a lively read, Michelle. Some of his assertions compelling, others highly off-pissing. It's pretty much all assertion, one of the problems it poses. He heaps scorn on the realistic novel, preferring autobiography and memoir--which aren't really much of a substitute to most readers of novels.

Be interesting to know what you think of it.

• Dsc_0162.thumb
    Michelle Elvy
    Aug 18, 06:26am

I will let you know! not surprised by your synopsis. prepared to be wowed and pissed off, perhaps equally!!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.