Forum / titles in Italian biography, et cetera

• Photo_00020.thumb
    strannikov
    May 22, 02:46pm

On a recent jaunt to Oxford, Mississippi, I made sure to visit Square Books (all three venues) and was pleased to find worthy titles that only an independent book shop can offer (same goes, btw, for Malaprop's bookstore in Asheville, North Carolina, which I found on the way back).
    Square Books carried on its shelves Niccolo Machiavelli: An Intellectual Biography by Corrado Vivanti (Princeton: 2013), which so far looks a bit better informed and better written than another title found on its shelves, Machiavelli: A Portrait by Christopher S. Celenza (Harvard: 2015).
    The staff of Square Books also kindly ordered and mailed to yours truly another biography, Dante: The Story of His Life by Marco Santagata (Belknap Harvard: 2016), a candid and thorough account, the opening pages promise.
    At Malaprop's I found among a handful of other titles Hieronymus Bosch: Garden of Earthly Delights by Hans Belting (Prestel: 2002, 2012, 2016), a detailed analysis of the detailed triptych.
    At yet another independent book shop in Asheville (a large used book store whose name escapes me), I found a fresh copy of Philip Matyszak's Classical Compendium, a treasury of classical trivia (Thames & Hudson: 2009).

"Be on your guard: there is no end to the making of many books . . ."

• Facebook.thumb
    John Riley
    May 31, 11:30pm

Sounds like a great journey. The Dante bio looks interesting.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.