Forum / Did you miss the Feast of St. Albert? I sure as hell did...

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Nov 18, 07:41pm

Sunday I missed my first Feast of St. Albert. I had a couple of excuses, the first being I was already committed that Sunday. The second, of arguably greater weight, was my never having been a Roman Catholic, thus not knowing a whit about St. Albert. In retrospect it is clear I might have brushed either excuse aside with nary a blink of remorse. As a working news reporter I'd eaten free food at many events where I knew little or nothing about the principals. The feast hosts who'd invited me were my Facebook friends, Mahogany Roasters, a local craft coffee company, the mere scent of whose coffee is enough to lure me to their door through thick or thin.

My curiosity is what did me in. Googling St. Albert, I found right off he was known as “Albert the Great, champion of faith and reason” as well as the patron saint of science. Faith and reason, most unusual bedfellows it seemed. And science? Agogged at the implication of clashing outlooks and rigid mindsets, practical and metaphysical, and learning also that Albert had been the teacher of a more famous saint, Thomas Aquinas, I bought the book. [it's here: http://tinyurl.com/ndt3vrr]

• You must log in to reply to this thread.