Forum / Here are some interesting numbers.

• Letitia_coyne.thumb
    Letitia Coyne
    Dec 28, 05:58am

In December 2014, 150 stories were published on Fictionaut by 71 contributors.

Between January 2013 and December 2014 [2 full years] the site gained 305 new members, an astonishing 113 of whom all joined in April 2013.

Of those 305 new members 191 have no recorded stories, and another 58 have less than 3 stories published.

There are approximately 30 of those without stories who do have group memberships or a list of favourites, suggesting readers. There will be a very few, too, who publish and then removed their work once they have discussed it with other members.

The vast majority of those without recorded stories or with only 1 or 2 stories, however, have no recorded interaction on the site at all.

It seems only 1/4 of new members are actually active on the site in some way.

Lxx

• Photo%2015.thumb
    Gary Hardaway
    Dec 28, 04:00pm

Some feel they'll be chum in the waters here. Perhaps.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Dec 28, 04:16pm

Well, we *are* a pretty dangerous bunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmLP0QQPqFw

• Image.thumb
    Charlotte Hamrick
    Dec 28, 07:37pm

I was one of the astonishing 113. I remember floundering when I first joined because I couldn't figure out how the site worked, how to navigate it. Finally, I found the sticky note at the top of the forum and that helped. I think it's scary for some people to jump right in, something I did because I didn't know anyone here (personally or by rep) so I wasn't intimidated.

If this site ever gets updated it would be great to have something like a welcome committee or a volunteer mentor to answer questions and make it a more welcoming experience.

Once I came to know some people it felt more comfortable. I've enjoyed being here....except for that situation recently which has dampened my enthusiasm.
    I'm still enjoying reading, though.

Just a little insight from a relative newcomer. :)

• Letitia_coyne.thumb
    Letitia Coyne
    Dec 28, 11:26pm

It's one of the things that occurred to me when I saw how few new names were venturing into the site. Is it possible to engage more with new people?

Often the person who invited or signed them in says 'hi' on their wall, but then nothing. Darryl Price was stumping up with a welcome note for many newbs through that time, too.

So it's one question 'how do we bring in new blood?' and another, 'how do we engage with them once they're here'.

Quite a few people have commented that Joani's top post there was a big help. Newcomers need to be directed to it.

Lxx

• You must log in to reply to this thread.