Forum / Always hit "copy"!

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Nov 25, 04:39pm

If I hadn't this morning, or if I had forgotten I had, I would be in a deep, deep funk (still struggling to quell the rage) at this moment, trying to rewrite the last third of one of the last chapters of the first draft of my novel, "First Shot". *breath*

I use two laptops. The ASUS, in my apt, stays there because the LED screen connection is delicate and I don't wanna hafta spend 100 or so bucks to get a new one if this one breaks again. So I write on Open Office on the ASUS, then transfer via thumb drive to the H/P I take to the library to use their free wifi. This morning, in an unusual daze of some sort, I transferred FROM the thumb drive to the ASUS, effectively replacing the new chapter with the old, unfinished version. Double checking, because the byte count seemed lower after the transfer, I uncovered the nightmare. Frantically confirming my dread that it was too late to go back, I did a little internal yoga exercise, laffing to myself and ohmmmming and shit, and made ready to truck on to the library to check my email before returning to the apt to confront the rewrite terrors. Then it occurred to me...

...I recalled hitting "copy" on the highlighted new version, as I always do as a sort of compulsive/superstitious habit, and wondered if the copy was still on my hard drive. I went back to the incomplete Open Office version and hit "control V". This time the "V" stood for "VOILA"! The new version appeared, restoring my faith in clean living and the banana/blueberry/cinnamon/honey/coconut-almond milk smoothy I drink every mother-lovin' morning.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Nov 25, 06:07pm

Another triumph for right living.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Nov 25, 07:54pm

Something to be said for compulsive superstition. Or is it superstitious compulsion?

• Panama_hat.thumb
    Nonnie Augustine
    Nov 26, 04:45pm

I'm so glad you didn't have to suffer long, Matt! xxoononnie

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Nov 29, 04:20pm

Me, too. Thanks, Nonnie.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.