Forum / This is, like, *literally* the best article I've ever read

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Aug 27, 11:45pm
  • Photo.thumb
    Rachna K.
    Aug 28, 12:01am

Great read, Par. I am going to "literally" avoid using the L word.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Aug 28, 12:18am
  • Letitia_coyne.thumb
    Letitia Coyne
    Aug 28, 06:10am

Oh, I love CM Punk.

Literally is just a fad word, I think; it's meaning is irrelevant. Like rage in the 80s, or grouse, or hip, or bogus, or any other slang word used without regard to its actual meaning.

I love the created words and phrases: Elephantitus, Old Timer's disease, foul swoops, escape goats, intensive purposes.

A news reader once told me Patagonia was a land of climactic extremes; she made me want to go there. It would be my penultimate holiday destination. :) It's allot better then it use to be, supposably.

Irregardless is now in the dictionary. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/irregardless

If you want to see the evolution of language in action, read at Wattpad where young writers are writing for a predominantly young adult readership. Malapropisms abound.

Language. Whaddya gonna do?

Lxx

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Aug 28, 06:39am

It's cool when people start conversating in the Forum, innit?

• Letitia_coyne.thumb
    Letitia Coyne
    Aug 28, 07:17am

Innit.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Aug 28, 07:44am

I had an argument with a co-worker years ago over the whole 'escape goat' thing. It got ugly.

Here's another that drives me mental - 'uncomfortableness'

It's DISCOMFORT!!!!

I'm researching flights to Patagonia as we speak.

• Letitia_coyne.thumb
    Letitia Coyne
    Aug 28, 07:59am

Agreeance!

How can we be in agreeance?

Was agreement not suggestive enough of agreeability?

Lxx

• Photo.thumb
    Rachna K.
    Aug 28, 01:48pm

Ooh I love this discussion. My son comes up with new, annoying words everyday. He mixes Hindi with English and ruins both.

I had a coworker who used to say "apparently" at the beginning of every sentence.

• Image.thumb
    Charlotte Hamrick
    Aug 28, 03:03pm

How about those who begin each sentence with "So". It makes me feel like I missed a portion of the story.

• Photo.thumb
    Rachna K.
    Aug 28, 03:16pm

Yes, I have come across the ones with "So" and some of them even pause after that, while I shamelessly stare at them as if saying, give me anything, just anything, so that I know where you are going with this..or rather, where have you been....

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Aug 28, 08:55pm

This is, like, literally the best Forum thread ever.

And if it got Rachna to participate, then...

I am so happy,

I am literally beside myself.

:)

• Image.thumb
    Charlotte Hamrick
    Aug 28, 09:22pm

(Notice no kind words for Big Mouth.) ;)

• Photo.thumb
    Rachna K.
    Aug 28, 10:22pm

Par, aww that is so sweet!! Your smile and Charlotte's wink literally makes my day!!

• Letitia_coyne.thumb
    Letitia Coyne
    Aug 28, 10:27pm

Ha! Charlotte - I was just tagged in your fb post that began: So, I want some luck. :))

I am guilty of using 'so' deliberately, too. I like it.

I heartily approve the practice of blending languages, too. English is such a mongrel to begin with. Every wave through GB introduced a few new words.

Anything done to language with intent is good. Changes made through ignorance are bad. Two legs, four legs, you know the way it goes.

Lxx

• Photo.thumb
    Rachna K.
    Aug 28, 10:33pm

Oh I like "so" too. I use it way too much in my writing. It's only the "so" which does not come with prior events. Then I am a deer with headlights.
    And for the record, the way Letitia flourishingly signs, also makes my day :)

• You must log in to reply to this thread.