Forum / In the mailbox

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Jul 01, 10:57pm

"Stories are the vehicle that moves metaphor and image into experience. Like metaphor and images, stories communicate what is generally invisible and ultimately inexpressible. In
    seeking to understand these realities through time, stories provide a perspective that touches on the divine, allowing us to see reality in full context, as part of its larger whole. Stories invite a kind of vision that gives shape and form even to the
    invisible, making the images move, clothing the metaphors, throwing color into the shadows. Of all the devices available to us, stories are the surest way of touching the human spirit."

-- Ernest Kurtz, The Spirituality of Imperfection

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jul 02, 06:02am

Bravo! Inspiring words!
    Thanks for posting, Ann

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 02, 10:53am

This quote portrays, and quite expressively, the raison d'etre for any fiction writer. Thank you, Ann. I've never wanted a tatto, but if I did, this would fit nicely on my shoulder.

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Jul 02, 11:45am

I've read a history of AA by Ernest Kurtz called Not God. The subtitle of The Spirituality of Imperfection is Storytelling and the Search for Meaning. Based on liking Not God's spiritual realism, if I can call it that, I'd take a look at this book as well. James, I'll tell Jack Yanisch (friend and visitor at Fictionaut who sent the quotation) you can see this as a tattoo! He could see it as calligraphied above the desk.

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Jul 02, 01:54pm

.."what is generally invisible and ultimately inexpressible." Wow!

• 398.thumb
    Teri Pastore
    Jul 03, 02:27pm

Thank you, Ann for sharing this! I'm too short for a tattoo of the whole thing to fit, but it's going on my fb, as well as framed copy next to my desk. Wow~

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    Jul 06, 01:38pm

Thanks for sharing this. It is well said.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.