Forum / Dennis Potter on Pop Music

• Angelcity1.thumb
    Chris Okum
    Jun 27, 04:27am

"When people say, 'Oh, listen, they're playing our song,'" Potter said, "they don't mean, 'Our song, this little cheap, tinkling, syncopated piece of rubbish is what we felt when we met.' What they're saying is, 'That song reminds me of the tremendous feeling we had when we met.' Some of the songs I use are great anyway, but the cheaper songs are still in the direct line of descent from David's Psalms. They're saying, 'Listen, the world isn't quite like this, the world is better than this, there is love in it,' 'There's you and me in it,' or 'The sun is shining in it.' So-called dumb people, simple people, uneducated people, have as authentic and profound depth of feeling as the most educated on earth. Anyone who says different is a fascist."

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Jun 27, 08:44am

Psalm 39

Your previous post caused me to listen to the Doors tonight. Before that Neil Young. And now the Grateful Dead. Why do I know almost every word to most of the songs in my cassette tape drawers and CD cases when I sing along and not to know without consulting them the exact lines in my own poems?

There is a reason. Maybe the Creativity Brain Researcher who studied writers at U of Iowa creative writing program knows.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Jun 27, 12:36pm
  • Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Jun 27, 12:58pm

We are music.

• Blank_sp.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Jun 27, 03:46pm

My nostalgic fav youtube version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JskztPPSJwY

• Blank_sp.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Jun 28, 01:41am
  • Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Jun 29, 01:18am

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but it's just too funny not to share...

Carol, I clicked on your first link above and started listening, thinking...that's the STRANGEST version of L.A. Woman I have EVER heard.

Then realized it was the CAR AD that came before the video.

Sheesh.

Sux to be me.

:)

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Jun 29, 01:28am

This was my first 'Our Song". First true love at about the age of 19:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATQ5ays9t1I

"When you look into my eyes
    And you see the crazy gypsy in my soul
    It always comes as a surprise
    When I feel my withered roots begin to grow
    Well I never had a place that I could call my very own
    That's all right, my love, 'cause you're my home"

Truer words were never spoken.

*sniff*

*sniff*

• You must log in to reply to this thread.