Forum / A writers' collective, marxist capitalism for the modern age...

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 16, 04:35pm

Now that Fictionaut is recovering, the idea of building a replacement is not so urgent, but I'm beginning to like the idea of a writers' collective, something that does not compete with the Fictionaut concept, but is its own entity and its own concept, geared more toward bringing writers together in new and more profitable ways.

I've always loved the idea that writers should be compensated for their work, so that idea would be an important component of such a collective, utilizing the advantages of modern publishing techniques to the benefit of the people who create the fiction as opposed to those who merely exploit it.

I'm working on the idea, but would love some input...

• Frankie Saxx
    Jun 16, 04:40pm

Maybe shoot Dan Holloway a message?

http://fictionaut.com/users/dan-holloway

He's pretty involved with things like collectives, self publishing, etc. (Also super helpful and good at putting people in touch with other people that know more than he does on a given topic.)

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 16, 05:18pm

Thanks, Frankie.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jun 16, 07:54pm

I'd be up for it, James. Good luck and let me know if I can help.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 16, 09:24pm

Thanks, David. Will do.

• Blank_sp.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Jun 16, 10:32pm

I'd like to be part of the discussion. I'll be more available after mid-July, though, to do actual work.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 16, 11:26pm

Thanks, Carol.

This will not happen overnight, so there's no time constraint. It will take planning, recruiting, discussion, consensus, publicity, not to mention a program of funding. That's a process that takes time and thought. Hopefully, the result will be a platform that works and a membership that ensures continued growth and healthy evolution over time.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.