Forum / Pynchon fans! Check out the page I set up on Facebook:

• Better.thumb

"I had been taking one of those elective courses in Modern Art, and it was the Surrealists who'd really caught my attention. Having as yet virtually no access to my dream life, I missed the main point of the movement, and became fascinated instead with the simple idea that one could combine inside the same frame elements not normally found together to produce illogical and startling effects. What I had to learn later on was the necessity of managing this with some degree of care and skill: any old combination of details will not do. Spike Jones, Jr., whose father's orchestral recordings had a deep and indelible effect on me as a child, said once in an interview, 'One of the things that people don't realize about Dad's kind of music is, when you replace a C-sharp with a gunshot, it has to be a C-sharp gunshot or it sounds awful."
    ----------
    —Thomas Pynchon, in his "Introduction" to "Slow Learner: Early Stories" (1984)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-C-Gunshot-Thomas-Pynchons-Fictions-the-Places-They-Take-Us/187446267984446?ref=hl

• You must log in to reply to this thread.