Forum / The Summer Vacation Challenge

• 2734896685_cccc347f0a_b.thumb
    Kevin Myrick
    Jun 15, 08:16pm

Fellow Fictionauts,

Now that the Flag Day Challenge is over, I have another one for those who wish to take it up: summer vacation.

From those pesky siblings whining the back seat about how you're too close to them to the sights and sounds of some of the world's most inspirational places, summer vacation has always been a brief respite and reminder in the busy schedules of this human race of what life is supposed to be all about. People toil for hours and days on end (including writers) for a week at the beach or in the mountains when the temperature rises to unspeakable levels.

My challenge to the writers this time around is this: in 1,000 words or more, tell an original (not previously published) story about a summer vacation. I don't care about location or transportation, themes or words being used. I want to read about something to do with summer vacations.

Unfortunately for the poets out there, this challenge is about story, not verse. And your title and name don't count in word count.

Stories will need to be turned into the Summer Vacation Challenge 2010 group by August 10, 2010 at 11:59 p.m. local time.

As has been true of the last two challenges, the story with the greatest number of favorites by the end of the challenge wins.

I will say on a personal note that I absolutely enjoyed yet loathed this particular assignment in school growing up. Not because I didn't have fun vacations - I had quite a number of adventures from the Okefenokee Swamps in South Georgia to the great expanse of the Grand Canyon -- but that my vacations were so different and everyone else went swimming or to Disney World.

Look for a group to show up Thursday along with a challenge page at kevinmyrick.com.

Good Luck!
    -Kevin M.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jun 16, 09:15am

I love summer vacation

• You must log in to reply to this thread.