Forum / Uh,oh.

• Panama_hat.thumb
    Nonnie Augustine
    Dec 01, 02:24pm

I put a story, no prose poem, no love letter, no reverie, something up yesterday that has had one comment, 55 views, and no faves. I don't get massive amounts of comments usually, but I've never posted a Fictionaut bomb before. Feels weird, but if I'm going to appreciate the good, generous comments from y'all, I should also appreciate the honesty in stony silence, eh?

• XXXX
    Dec 01, 02:53pm

Appeals like this make me very sad.

• Panama_hat.thumb
    Nonnie Augustine
    Dec 01, 04:02pm

Oh, no. P.R. Mercado. I wasn't making an appeal. I'm sorry if it sounds like that. This is a reflection I've made about my writing, and about the site. I'm truly glad for Fictionaut and for the many people who read and comment on my work. So...if this piece doesn't work here; it's something for me to learn from. If I read a piece and like it, I'll comment and usually fave it. If I don't respond to something in a positive way, I won't fake, no matter how much I might enjoy the writer's other work. I'm glad to know that others do the same. I'm not complaining; I'm learning.

• Img_0942.thumb
    Roberto C. Garcia
    Dec 06, 06:26am

Nonnie, you are right. The say something nice or don't say anything at all stance on Fictionaut can be "weird" or discouraging. I don't know if it comes from an inability to leave constructive feedback without sounding nasty or whether it's more a "don't want to tick people off" thing. Good for you for mentioning it in a constructive way.

• Panama_hat.thumb
    Nonnie Augustine
    Dec 06, 02:06pm

Thanks, Roberto. I should try to pay more attention to the "workshop" element of this site. Sometimes I think it's a self-confidence thing. I've never imagined myself as a literary critic, whatsoever. 8-]

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Dec 07, 12:37am

Best way, imo, to get honest, constructive feedback is...

...find a few folks whose work you admire, and who you can trust to be honest, who are about the craft and not the ego, and stomp the shit outta each other's stuff privately.

This kinda stuff just ain't gonna happen in public.

Works for me.

• Panama_hat.thumb
    Nonnie Augustine
    Dec 07, 12:56am

You're right, Sally. I'll keep that in mind. I tend to be an all or nothing type, though. Usually I like what I read, swallow it whole so to speak, when it's written by someone whose work I admire. When I taught dance, it was easier for me to see where I could jump in and help.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.