Forum / Recommendation

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Sep 20, 02:09pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0219327/

The movie's available for streaming on Netfliz and I saw it last night. I love Scottish film generally and have reached the point where I don't need captioning to understand what their saying. But this is not charateristic of Scottish film, being just the most curious blend of schmaltz, crime, dreamers and mob guys in the gritty streets of Glasgow. It didn't hurt that the cast was perfect and included Kelly Macdonald and Brian Cox, both familiar to an American audience.

Don't get me wrong, this is not comedy, not pure schmaltz, but once in a while, people need a break from the desolation angel scenes that seem to permeate American film, contemporary film in general. I'm a fan of Breaking Bad, Ray Donovan and the like, but I sometimes miss the fantasy of a happy conclusion. Life is hard, but I don't need to revel in its harshest aspects 24/7.

I loved this film.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Sep 20, 02:09pm

Netfliz? How about Netflix...

• Frankie Saxx
    Sep 20, 06:04pm

I still need captioning to understand Glaswegian.

• 028934-753x1024.thumb
    mxi wodd
    Sep 21, 06:48pm

I'll check it out.

Tom and Viv (who knows about veracity?"

also streams

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Tom_Viv/60011469

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Sep 21, 09:18pm

Tried to watch Tom and Viv, but personal train wrecks like this are painful to watch.

Easy enough for some to come in after the fact, pass judgement on the survivors. Truth is always a matter of perspective.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Sep 21, 09:26pm

If you're of fan of Kevin Spacey's version of House of Cards, you might want to watch the original... I love both, but the Brits are masters in the business of presenting blackguardry, dirty dealing, and the SAhakespearian aside to the audience.

House of Cards Trilogy (BBC)

Streams at Netflix also.

• Angelcity1.thumb
    Chris Okum
    Sep 21, 10:07pm

This is kind of off topic, but whatever you do, do not watch Abel Ferrara's 4:44 Last Day on Earth with Willem Dafoe. I am a huge Ferrara fan and this is his worst movie. Worse than Driller Killer, worse than Fear City, worse than Cat Chaser. It's so bad it's embarrassing. That's all. Carry on.

• Frankie Saxx
    Sep 22, 08:01am

But I love Willem Dafoe. :/

(Also, I had no idea House of Cards was originally BBC. Thanks, JLD. Will look for that.)

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Sep 22, 01:03pm

Well worth the time, Frankie. I'm watching it again.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.