Forum / World Book Night 2013

• Better_than.thumb
    Sally Jayne Heymann
    Apr 17, 11:33pm

I don't know if many of you participate or know of World Book Night, but it is a world-wide campaign to give books to light readers, people who rarely pick up a book.

This is my second year participating. Last year, I gave my students two books, and I had them find someone who would benefit from reading Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible. They gave them to homeless, prisoners, and family members, and they kept the other copy because they rarely read literature themselves.

This year, I am handing out David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day at a nursing home. I am very excited to hear their stories and see their smiles.

This happens in England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, the U.S., and Canada (so far), but is spreading quickly. If you would like to learn more about this project, go to http://www.us.worldbooknight.org/ in the US or http://www.worldbooknight.org/books/2013 in the UK and Ireland.

I just thought you would like to know about this amazing and fun evening.
    Sally

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Apr 18, 02:32am

I did this last year, too, Sally. I gave away two books, Walt Whitman's The Complete Poems, and Donald Barthelme's The Teaching of Don B. to the Battered Women's Shelter in Milwaukee.

I plan to join in again this year, not sure yet what I will give away, or where. It's a great idea! Thanks for posting.

• Better_than.thumb
    Sally Jayne Heymann
    Apr 18, 02:41am

Robert, the organisation sent out the books and delivered them this week, or do you buy your books yourself? If you do, that's amazing!

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Apr 18, 02:55am

I bought them myself and am going to do that again this year, too!

• Image.thumb
    Charlotte Hamrick
    Apr 18, 08:55pm

Yes, I'm participating as well. This is a great organized opportunity to share our love of reading and books!

• Better_than.thumb
    Sally Jayne Heymann
    Apr 19, 07:55pm

That's awesome, Charlotte! What book are you giving out?

• You must log in to reply to this thread.