Forum / do you make soundtracks for your stories?

• Spaceinvaders.thumb
    brian warfield
    Apr 07, 01:50am

i like to compile a list of songs to accompany most of the stories i write. either things that inspired the writing or tracks that could have an affinity with the material. does anyone else do this?

here is a link to my playlist for my ebook Shotgun Torso:
    http://brianwarfield.weebly.com/1/post/2013/04/shotgun-torso-playlist.html

• 147.thumb
    kate hill cantrill
    Apr 07, 04:01am

You won me at Antony and the Johnsons. I have done this with a few stories but might start doing it more now. Thanks for the inspiration. (I want to give Antony a belt for that dress with a biggo ribbon on it. He is glorious--a living angel).

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Apr 07, 12:57pm

Great soundtrack, Brain. Enjoyed the music.

I had a suite of poems - Appalachian Silence among the Dark Selves - appear in Necessary Fiction with links to songs. The overall set has a song for background - as well as each separate piece.

A link to the poem with playlist:
    http://necessaryfiction.com/writerinres/AppalachianSilenceamongtheDarkSelves

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Apr 07, 12:59pm

Somehow I listed you as Brain, the drummer for Primus - great band. Sorry about that Brian. No edit feature in FN.

• Untitled_design_-_2024-02-08t014618.097.thumb
    Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Apr 07, 09:48pm

I have several playlists at YouTube. I'm a Luddite. That's how I listen to music. YouTube playlists, the odd mix tape and the occasional cd. I've written several short stories to the Eagle Pass playlist.

Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Apr 07, 09:50pm
  • 62698557287.thumb
    Matthew Robinson
    Apr 07, 10:49pm

I certainly write to music. It's often ambient, or mellow, or classical. I haven't assembled a list to ACCOMPANY someone's reading of a piece, though I once wrote a story that mentioned numerous songs that I just so happened to be listening to while writing the story...

Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Apr 07, 11:16pm

I'm always putting albums and songs in my stories and novels and poems. "Blood on the Tracks" and "Trout Mask Replica" keep popping up.

• 147.thumb
    kate hill cantrill
    Apr 08, 01:41am

I can write and be inspired "after" listening to music-- Townes Van Zandt or Sigur Ros or Pixies or Philip Glass or Brian Eno or The Clash-- but I can't write to anything: even classical or instrumental except for one album, and it's weird why this and only this one-- but it's the only thing I can listen to for sound and soothing and to muffle out the world but it doesn't distract me-- Dead Can Dance, Spirit Chaser. Ha ha why that makes me laugh, I don't know. I guess because it's kind of seriously cornball but kind of great. But it's true that it works for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBqhdMDe_ZA

Oh wait, I wrote to Erasure once, but the story was sort of a flop. Fun times trying, though.

• Photo%2015.thumb
    Gary Hardaway
    Apr 08, 02:42am

Stories with a soundtrack... sounds like opera.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.