Forum / Interview with Marcus Speh Birkenkrahe

• Canada_usa_2011_002.thumb
    Christopher Allen
    Aug 21, 07:14am

Hey, sweet people!
    Marcus shared a few thoughts with me about living abroad and writing within at my blog I Must Be Off!

In a few days, I'll post the second part of the interview--in German.

Here's the link. Stop by and comment. If the post is cut off at the bottom, reload the page. This usually works.

http://www.imustbeoff.com/2012/08/expat-author-interview-with-marcus-speh.html

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Aug 21, 06:13pm

A very cool interview by two of my favorite writers (and friends)!

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Aug 21, 09:33pm

Excellent read and exchange with CA and MS!!!

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Aug 22, 03:06am

Wonderful. A great interview.

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Aug 22, 06:22pm

Thanks very much guys. This, believe it or not, is <a href="marcusspeh.com/page/interviews">my 14th interview</a>. Somehow, using his skill, curiosity and his own writerly instincts, Christopher managed to wrestle new information from me—this is one of my favorite exchanges. He has single-handedly created something wonderful here: you ought to check out the other ex-pat voices some of which belong to fellow fictionauts. Thank you!

Marcus Speh
    Aug 22, 06:24pm

I still do wish Carson would fix the HTML in the forum so that it becomes possible again to embed URLs...

Christopher Allen
    Aug 22, 07:47pm

Hey, sweet people!
    It was a great pleasure to interview Marcus in English. On Friday (if the scheduling feature on my blog works since I'll be cycling through Alsace and drinking way too much wine) our German interview will go live. If you speak German, schau mal vorbei! At <a href="www.imustbeoff.com">I Must Be Off</a>

Marcus Speh
    Aug 24, 09:37pm

The German interview is live. Chris went out on a linguistic limb. It was fun to say these things in my mother tongue... http://www.imustbeoff.com/2012/08/expat-author-interview-mit-marcus-speh.html - thank you!

• Updated_bio.thumb
    James Claffey
    Aug 24, 09:56pm

good stuff!

Robert Vaughan
    Aug 24, 09:58pm

I also added the interview to my HUMP DAY blog, but I think it was the English version? Maybe I ought to add the German one, too?

Christopher Allen
    Aug 25, 06:03am

Hey, RV! Thank you so much for including the Interview!

Marcus Speh
    Aug 25, 07:29am

Dear Robert, thank you for featuring the interview with Chris Allen in your HUMP. Every time you hump you create a anthology of modern culture: not mono, but multi. Cheers from Berlin, the capital of HUMP. as for your question: the German version when translated by Google sounds as if I had recently descended from another star, my sentences all garbled, my meaning gnarled. While this is true, it's probably best to protect innocent readers at large from the brutal complexity of the German language…

Robert Vaughan
    Aug 25, 11:36am

Dear Marcus, thanks for the clarification! I'm so happy you told me, because I istened to the Google translation last night, and what little German I did know, I thought: hmmm, I seem to know a LOT LESS than I thought! Turns out it was just "Speh'd" incorrectly!!! I will heed your thoughtful advice and keep the English version at HUMP for now. P.S. Nice to know that Berlin is the capital of HUMP! More on that later.

• 0804d24.thumb
    Matthew A. Hamilton
    Aug 26, 12:36pm

Great interview. Marcus, got your book on my to read list.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.