Forum / Editor's Eye?

• 62698557287.thumb
    Matthew Robinson
    Aug 06, 06:35pm

I'm not sure where the Editor's Eye feature has gone, but I'd like to take it upon myself to nominate a piece that I believe slipped through the cracks.

The story is "The Artist's Conk" by Sara Catterall.

http://fictionaut.com/stories/sara-catterall/the-artists-conk

This story is considered long for Fictionaut standards, at about 2,500 words, but I promise it is worth your time. The ending (really the last 1/3rd) is one of the most devastating endings I've read in a while. The prose is taut and near-flawless. The POV is incredibly focused. When I finished it, I stared at my monitor, stunned, basking in the sublime lightheadedness that only great writing can bring about.

The story as I write this has 50 views and three favorites, those numbers should be at least triple. Not to put so much weight on faves and comments, as that stuff can be utterly arbitrary, but this story should be read by more than 50 people. It's a previously published piece, so undoubtedly more than 50 people have read it, but I cannot conceive a scenario where this story has been read an adequate number of times.

So, my people, get on it.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Aug 06, 07:56pm

Matt's very right. An outstanding work, with remarkable control of the prose, nuance, a great feel for form.

• 62698557287.thumb
    Matthew Robinson
    Aug 08, 04:25am

For sure, David. I don't think I named this post correctly; it's more to bring awareness to this great story than to wonder about Editor's Eye, interesting feature though it was.

Everyone, I implore you, feast your eyes upon this masterful piece!

• 62698557287.thumb
    Matthew Robinson
    May 24, 09:50pm

Found myself digging up this old post, as I began wondering about the Editor's Eye feature, and then again about this exemplary short story I mention. If you haven't read the piece yet, I continue to advise it.

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    May 24, 10:44pm

Thanks Matt. You are right. Don't know how it slipped by.

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    May 25, 07:17am

What happened is that Meg simply got too busy to keep doing Editor's Eye. I miss it, too. If anyone's interested in picking up where she left off, please get in touch...

• 62698557287.thumb
    Matthew Robinson
    May 25, 07:36am

That would be cool. E.E. was an awesome feature, short-lived though it was. And as I said in a post subsequent to my original one, I think I misnamed this thread, as my main intent was to draw more attention to Ms. Catterall's short story.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.