Forum / The Pushcart Prize... Editors, don't wait to enter your writers

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Apr 29, 09:38am

Every year the small presses gear up and get in their Pushcart Nominations before the December -- deadline.
    BUT.. already, right now, several Pushcart Prizes have been decided and announced!
    So by the December deadline that book has been finalized and the December entries are a moot point.

How did I come to realize this? Not by any stroke of genius. That fat anthology hits the stands in early January.
    Who could possibly sift through "thousands" of entries, decide and decline, and produce such a book in a span of about 2 weeks???
    Nobody.

So, small press editors, start sending in your entries now or at least by September if you want to stand any kind of chance.

According to sources, only two online magazines have ever been awarded: Narrative magazine, and this year Wigleaf.

Not a great showing for the online mags.

• Img_0741.thumb
    See ya
    Apr 29, 01:11pm

To speed this along, I humbly accept any undecided nominations.

• Img_0741.thumb
    See ya
    Apr 29, 03:40pm

Just joking...like Ondaatje said in the last sentence of Coming Through Slaughter - "...there are no prizes."

But, yeah, they still feel mighty good.

Susan Tepper
    Apr 29, 08:42pm

hahaha! yeah, they feel mighty good ( I guess). I've never won a thing for literary and suspect I never will.
    But I hope some of the small press editors will get their nominations in early so their authors get a fair read, etc.

• Garson2.thumb
    Scott Garson
    Apr 30, 01:52pm

hey Susan- what I figured out about this: the december noms (and recent decisions) were for the 2013 edition. So the new one offers last year's picks....

Susan Tepper
    Apr 30, 06:19pm

Scott, I hope this is true. I heard it differently. I'm going to check this out with someone who "knows" for sure-- Bill Hendricks (the publisher). I will repost his answer hopefully soon.

Susan Tepper
    Apr 30, 06:20pm

Meant Bill Henderson.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.