Forum / WRITER, EDUCATOR AND GENEROUS MENTOR: AN INTERVIEW WITH CHARLES BAXTER

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Apr 05, 03:39am

My interview with the brilliant writer Charles Baxter is up at The Literarian/For Writers.

http://www.centerforfiction.org/forwriters/writers-on-writing/charles-baxter-on-craft/

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Apr 05, 02:23pm

Several years ago I read a story in a magazine I also had a poem in. Was *very* moved by the story, so much so that I somehow tracked down the author and sent him a note. Received a nice, grateful reply, in which he told me something about the story.

And yes it was Charles Baxter, and no, I had no idea at the time who it was, and of course I lost the email...

Neat interview, MaryAnne.

• With_ted_3.thumb
    Bill Yarrow
    Apr 05, 03:48pm

Good interview, MaryAnne!

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Apr 05, 04:08pm

"...Four words instead of one might be undesirable when you're giving directions, but poetry and great fiction don't depend on what is "sufficient" except in plot summaries. They depend on what is eloquent and beautiful and true..." Wonderful conversation. I wanted it to go on. Great questions, MaryAnne. Excellent work.

• Dscn4564.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Apr 05, 06:21pm

Eloquent questions and responses. Looking forward to more of your interviews, MaryAnne.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Apr 05, 11:17pm

Great interview, MaryAnne. I know you've just begun, but you're already a pro. I know how much research you put into every interview. Well done.

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Apr 05, 11:53pm

Matt, sounds so like Charlie. I met him many years ago when I went to a book signing in Chicago, and boldly handed him a manila envelope containing a short story I had written and a sase. Two weeks later I received a lovely critique of the story and the encouraging words, "Don't stop writing." We've reconnected a time or two over the years, sharing a few words at different bookstores. I learned a lot from reading his work but far more by observing how he treats people. Thanks for sharing your interaction with him, with me!

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Apr 05, 11:55pm

Thanks to everyone for reading and commenting on the interviews. Many more to come. I love doing them.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.