Forum / Davy Jones

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Mar 03, 01:36am

As many of you know I'm a huge Beatles fan. I miss having John and George in the world with us every day, and probably always will. But their amazingly creative music and flippant attitude has always informed my own decision to be a lifelong writer of creative works of my own.They wrote the book on originality. I liked their humor,too and their instant willingness to look at things in a new and different light/way. When I was a kid it was like having these 4 eccentric older brothers who lived together in a foreign country but occasionally dropped you a crazy cassette of tunes or two for your amusement and edification. All of that's true to the core of my being. But would it surprise you to know that the very first concert I ever went to in my young life was to see The Monkees in Cincinnati? I loved seeing them live. It was thrilling beyond belief. I can't tell you what it meant to me as a kid and my pals to have something as silly,irreverant and fun to watch on tv as the Monkees every week.We lived for it. We related to them in that magical screen world in every way. They were hereoes to us that seemed a little bit closer to the houses we lived in than the Beatles--who seemed more like strange mutants with incredible mutant powers. But more to the point. It mattered to us kids. They entertained us greatly. The first band I was in, 3rd grade,thank you very much, played Monkees songs right along beside the Kinks,Beatles, Rolling Stones and others. Those of you who can't relate, I'm sorry. But losing Davy Jones was like losing a family member.someone you always admired and loved for being nothing more or less than himself. The Monkees brought a lot of pure joy to everyone I know, or used to know. The Beatles brought something deeper, I get it, no argument, but you can't take out of a heart what was already willingly put in there so very long ago. That's all.See you, Davy. Thanks for the laughs and the music. It all made a big difference to me.

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Mar 03, 01:49am

Yep.

;-(

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Mar 03, 02:26am

I wrote my first (and last) love/fan letter to Davy Jones. I remember a ten year old kid sitting at a too-large desk in our Chicago basement, circling the drying tear drops on the letter and writing "tears" next to each so he'd know how much I loved him. I never did hear back, but that didn't really matter. I miss John Lennon like I would miss a limb, but that emptiness is an adult appreciation of who he was and what social and moral issues he stood for. I see Davy Jones passing as a piece of my young life, my innocence, that is now gone forever.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.