Forum / St. Paddy's Day Challenge

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Feb 28, 10:26am

During the V-Day Massacre Challenge, someone suggested a St. Paddy's Day Challenge (that's in March). I think this may be what people have been discussing as the February challenge. So who wants to run St. Paddy's Day challenge??? (don't look at me)

Susan Tepper
    Feb 28, 12:43pm

ps-- I think it should be someone with an Irish heritage, half-Irish, one-quarter Irish.
    Own an Irish setter?

• Flawntnewsmall.thumb
    Finnegan Flawnt
    Feb 28, 02:49pm

i own a book by an irish author and i got very, very drunk once in dublin, with consequences worth describing one day when all who participated are dead.

• Flawntnewsmall.thumb
    Finnegan Flawnt
    Feb 28, 02:51pm

(ps. i can't do it. i'm totally exhausted by participation only in your challenge already and i'm only irish by fictitious choice not temper. only wanted to respond kindly to your funny post. the irish setter, ya know.)

• 2734896685_cccc347f0a_b.thumb
    Kevin Myrick
    Feb 28, 04:39pm

Finnegan, you can't seriously say "i got very, very drunk once in dublin, with consequences worth describing one day when all who participated are dead" and then not tell the rest of the story.

No beer for you on St. Paddy's day now.

Susan Tepper
    Feb 28, 05:25pm

I'm casting my vote for Finnegan. I think he's the perfect person to run this challenge. At least he's been somewhere in Ireland!
    Hey-- where are all you Irish writers, come on out from hiding
    There's really nothing much to do except READ ALL THE ENTRYS AND COMMENT ON THEM! (no big deal, ha ha)

• Flawntnewsmall.thumb
    Finnegan Flawnt
    Mar 01, 11:59am

hehe. ok, i'll do it. it'll be a challenge. will gather my irish genes and stories (of which there are many, i'm also the reincarnation of james joyce's beloved dog "finn") and create a group for this challenge tonight, calling the men and women of ireland to arms. you'll be sorry you mentioned this, susan, because i might even break out in song ;-)

• Flawntnewsmall.thumb
    Finnegan Flawnt
    Mar 01, 12:43pm

Challenge officially opened - join the public group The Paddy Whacker now!

GROUP CHARTER

Created for the Fictionaut St. Patrick's Day Challenge. This challenge stands under the patronage of James Joyce, whom I have contacted during a séance.

"Saint Patrick's Day (Irish: Lá ’le Pádraig or Lá Fhéile Pádraig), colloquially St. Paddy's Day or simply Paddy's Day, is an annual feast day which celebrates Saint Patrick (circa AD 385–461), the most commonly recognised of the patron saints of Ireland, and is generally celebrated on 17th of March." (Wikipedia)

THE RULES:
    - Your story must contain the word 'Patrick' or 'Paddy'.
    - You can only submit one story to the challenge.
    - Submit to challenge by adding your story to the group folder on 17 March (by midnight the latest).
    - By participating, you pledge allegiance to Irish coffee.

Go n-éirí an t-ádh leat! Ádh mór ort!
    Finnegan Flawnt
    Dublin

Kevin Myrick
    Mar 01, 01:42pm

Finnegan, shouldn't one of the rules also be that before writing the story everyone should have to drink an Irish Car Bomb?

• Flawntnewsmall.thumb
    Finnegan Flawnt
    Mar 01, 02:27pm

hmm, kevin you got me thinking. remember this is my first job as master challenger. i will only drink guinness until march 17.

• Flawntnewsmall.thumb
    Finnegan Flawnt
    Mar 02, 04:03am

changed the rulez! i thought two words were too restrictive. please check the charter for an update: http://www.fictionaut.com/groups/the-paddy-whacker

you only need one word from the following list:
    'Patrick', 'Paddy', 'Irish', 'Dublin', 'Joyce', 'padding', 'pad', 'Padawan', 'patron', 'saint', 'pope', 'spring', clover', 'bloom', 'Guinness'

i was gonna ask george lucas for an endorsement of this challenge, but i couldn't get through to him since he's space traveling.

Susan Tepper
    Mar 02, 04:52pm

Finnegan, I knew you would come through! Your Group is quite nice esthetically, I love the photo logo you chose and looking forward to this challenge! Erin go bragh

Susan Tepper
    Mar 04, 10:02am

Having spelled Erin go bragh totally wrong, I now have a question:
    I see that stories are posted to Paddywacker group, are those the St. P-Day Challenge stories coming in early?
    I was under impression we could only send on St. P-Day-- please clarify

• Flawntnewsmall.thumb
    Finnegan Flawnt
    Mar 05, 06:41am

susan, the group is open for posting UNTIL end of P-day. given that people are posting happily, this seems to make the most sense.

• Flawntnewsmall.thumb
    Finnegan Flawnt
    Mar 05, 06:42am

... and thank YOU for pushing me! and thanks for the praise on grounds of aesthetics. always much appreciated.

Susan Tepper
    Mar 05, 10:47am

It is the perfect "look" for this challenge, the photo in black & white is very evocative and pulled me right in

• Flawntnewsmall.thumb
    Finnegan Flawnt
    Mar 07, 01:33pm

thanks susan, i can see the contributions coming in...and they're GOOD. i am pleased but i still need to take a little break from posting/reading etc. because i'm networking wise simply burnt down to my stumps right now. back with a vengeance later - next week perhaps when the spirit of paddy will flow through all of us...

• Flawntnewsmall.thumb
    Finnegan Flawnt
    Mar 14, 09:51am

ploughing through stories of the paddy day challenge today...and continue to be impressed. amazing stories here. apparently, the paddy archetype brings out the best in many. looking forward to, what...15 more? awesome run.

Susan Tepper
    Mar 14, 04:05pm

Finnegan you are most definitely the man for this job, your management skills dazzle even these tired eyes. The big green day is soon upon us...

• Flawntnewsmall.thumb
    Finnegan Flawnt
    Mar 15, 04:15am

thank you susan. management by benevolent, competent absence has always been my favorite. been spreading the word widely among the friends of the big green guy (outside of fictionaut) - if i get responses i will post them here.

Kevin Myrick
    Mar 16, 08:39pm

Lets all not forget the deadline is tomorrow at 11:59 p.m. local.

• Flawntnewsmall.thumb
    Finnegan Flawnt
    Mar 17, 09:56am

people may be too drunk already all over the world, kevin, to respect deadlines.

Kevin Myrick
    Mar 17, 10:26am

Deadlines are always fluid Finnegan.

Susan Tepper
    Mar 17, 05:16pm

People in NYC were drunk at noon. Had the misfortune of driving to Penn Station and trying to locate someone in there. Green people running everywhere and the music in the station was booming. But here at F'naut the stories are "Blooming"

• You must log in to reply to this thread.