Forum / Plagiarized?

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Nov 28, 11:35pm

Throwing the word "plagiarized" around so casually or accusing someone of same in such a careless, thoughtless manner, not only offends me but makes me seriously consider the professional mental thought process of the accuser. . . .

Quite a disturbing accusation and one that says much more about the accuser than the accused.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Nov 29, 04:47pm

This is all rather mysterious-sounding. Who is accused of plagiarizing what by whom??

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Nov 29, 09:03pm

Sorry, should have clarified. Ann Bogle apparently sent James an email asking him why he was upsetting her friend Bobbi Luri. Paraphrasing here.

He referred her to his story "There Is No Honor In This. http://www.fictionaut.com/stories/james-lloyd-davis/there-is-no-honor-in-this

She replied in the story comments with the following:

Ann Bogle, 38 hours ago
    "Okay, James, found it. No need to reply again unless you wish. I didn't comment on or fav this story because it plagiarizes a photo, gives no attribution to the person who took it, and the writing about it is not fav-worthy, to me, even if the cause is. My not commenting on or faving the posting does not reflect my views of OWS. Reading here, in connection with the photo, I feel more concerned there are rapes at OWS. That sounds like a pisser for the double left. The fat girl/thin girl comment almost echoes Mary Gaitskill's novel title."

I am not speaking for my husband, who is more than capable of speaking for himself. I felt this bit of insanity was completely uncalled for and was greatly offended by the charge of and use of the word "plagiarized." There is no direct attribution for that particular picture. OWS is covering every image site possible with pictures and asking people to post them.

• Fictionaut%20possibility.thumb
    Bobbi Lurie
    Nov 30, 01:02am

Ann is a great writer and an excellent editor. Her standards are high. She is a good friend who has given the world wonderful writings.

She was defending me.

She knows James' responses to me in in his Occupy World interview scared me.

I'm just grateful he removed his last piece. I thank him for that.

I don't know how other people feel: but I would like to see more writing criticism. It is endlessly helpful.

Less ego is also better.

Greed is of the spirit and charity, a type of gentleness which accepts the various realities we are individually stuck with.

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Nov 30, 03:12am

Mary Anne, James did not refer me to his story, as you say in your intervention on his behalf. He acknowledged nothing about a situation that had occurred with Bobbi Lurie, when I wrote to him privately. I spent some part of hours searching forums, groups, and story pages until I found their dialogue on my own. Then I posted on his story page an explanation, rare for me, of why it was not "a story" I had fav'd. We all do things a little differently, not only here. I broke from my own pattern of commenting only on a story I also fav.

I felt that in that posting, people were responding to and perhaps even fav'ing an image JLD had siphoned for personal credit from the net. The interpretation of the photo -- his and others' and mine -- are a collective text some readers fav'd for JLD. What seems insane to you is that I mentioned a private thought I had of it. Your defense of it seems to be that a lot of people make that use of art (as appropriative) and get credit for it.

Bobbi, thanks for your comments.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.