Forum / "Prompts & Short-Form Writing" - I'll be teaching Dzanc's Books Online Writing Workshops

• Fictionaut.thumb
    Meg Pokrass
    Oct 01, 01:16am

I hope some of you can join me, it will be interesting and fun and productive!

Instructor: Meg Pokrass

The short form: Flash, prose poetry, and micro fiction (LET'S CALL IT "SHORT FORM") have come of age. This eight-week workshop will provide a venue for both writers new to the art and those practiced in it to build their creative momentum. This cutting-edge workshop will emphasize prompts: Pokrass will provide unusual and creative starts that will help you experiment with short-form writing and learn to approach it from new ways.

PROMPTS AND EXERCISES
    Two prompt exercises per week with deadlines. Feedback from group members encouraged (helpful and positive only). There will always be feedback from the Meg.

SUBMISSIONS DAY! (not-required)
    Once a month, we will have a submissions party online for those who want to submit. The instructor will suggest magazines per student by request.

PUBLISHING DIRECTION
    We'll discuss by group and/or individually where and how to submit. You will receive specific feedback. Once a week the publication consultation advice booth is open!

"Recently, I wrote a 200-word story… and a brilliant editor, Meg Pokrass, helped make smart, delicate cuts." —Jane Ciabattari, president of the National Book Critics Circle and author of Stealing the Fire

"I don’t write short fiction, but Meg encouraged me to try my hand. I did have a failed poem sitting around that I just couldn’t wrangle into shape, so I pulled it out of form and began to work on it like a story. I sent it to Meg and she did a fantastic job of editing the piece. It was published in SmokeLong Quarterly. Meg wrote me that the piece was later chosen by Wigleaf Top 50, longlisted as one of the best shorts on the web." —Dorianne Laux, author of Facts about the Moon, and winner of two Best American Poetry Prizes, a Pushcart Prize, and NEA and Guggenheim fellowships

About the Instructor::

Meg Pokrass is the author of Damn Sure Right (Press 53, 2011), a collection of flash fiction, and editor for Frederick Barthelme's Blip Magazine (formerly Mississippi Review). Meg directs, designs and edits the Fictionaut Five author interview series at Fictionaut. This year Meg is judging of the prestigious Press 53 Open Awards for flash fiction.

Meg's short-form work (flash, micro-fiction, and prose poetry) has Pedestal, Keyhole, Annalemma, Mississippi Review, FRIGG, Smokelong Quarterly, elimae, Bananafish, Ramshackle Review, Monkeybicycle, Everyday Genius, Necessary Fiction, 3AM, Foundling Review, Mud Luscious, Juked, Wordriot, and numerous anthologies.

She's been nominated three times for inclusion in the Pushcart Prize anthology, Dzanc's Best of the Web, and her story "Lost & Found" was showcased for Dzanc Books’ Short Story Month. GalleyCat/Media Bistro's Digital Spotlight named Pokrass one of the top web writers to watch in 2010. Her story, "Leaving Hope Ranch" was selected for Wigleaf's top 50 best flash fiction on the web.

Register Now ($325):

• Fictionaut.thumb
    Meg Pokrass
    Oct 01, 01:29am

whoops.. the link is here: http://www.dzancbooks.org/dzancsessions/

Other teachers for the different classes include:
    Amy Minton
    Yelizaveta P. Renfro
    Janet Freeman
    Gail Konop Baker
    Robert Lopez

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Oct 01, 01:27pm

Meg, I saw this in the EWN email. Very cool. As someone who has worked one-on-one with several writers in the DZANC CREATIVE WRITING SESSIONS, I can endorse the general high-quality of all they sponsor.

I would sign up in a flash if I wasn't in the thick of my first MA class. Offer during the summer, and I'm on it! Peace...

• Aaaa_profilepic_396313_10150574343582112_630237111_10894196_1452133756_n.thumb
    Jeff Questad
    Oct 04, 08:45pm

Hola Meg,

I'm in. Just signed up. Talk to you soon.

JQ

• You must log in to reply to this thread.