Forum / Poetry Prize with no Entry Fee

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Sep 20, 09:43pm

Saw this on Facebook and thought some of you might be interested, especially since it's free:

The Zócalo Public Square Poetry Prize is awarded annually to the U.S. poet whose poem best evokes a connection to place. “Place” may be interpreted by the poet as a place of historical, cultural, political or personal importance; it may be a literal, imaginary or metaphorical landscape. We are looking for one poem that offers our readers a fresh, original and meaningful take on the topic.

Like everything else we feature, we will most be on the lookout for that rare combination of brilliance and clarity, excellence and accessibility.

The winning poet, as judged by Zócalo Poetry Editor Stephanie Brown, will receive $1,000.

http://zocalopublicsquare.org/thepublicsquare/2011/06/26/zocalo-public-square-poetry-prize/read/poems/

• With_ted_3.thumb
    Bill Yarrow
    Sep 20, 09:53pm

"The Zócalo Public Square Poetry Prize is sponsored by the Southern California Gas Company."

Interesting!

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Sep 20, 09:55pm

I saw that, and it made me pause, Bill, but heck, a free chance at $1000? Maybe the taxpayers will get some of their own money back.

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Sep 21, 01:16am

Maybe we should be recruiting more corporations to sponsor writing prizes - with some of that extra tax savings. . . .

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Sep 21, 02:10am

Actually, when you do a little research, you find the Zócalo Public Square is aligned with several Western academic think tanks which lean toward the progessive political philosophies.

Alignment with such projects through patronage by corporations may be self-serving, but the source of the money is less important than the way in which it is being used. Besides, not all utilities are inherently evil.

The Medici family, for all their bloodsucking, mayhem, financial piracy and and political machinations, did manage to pour out their patronage on the likes of Donatello, Raphael, and Michelangelo.

Poetry seems to have few enough friends these days. I applaud the Southern California Gas Company. They can send me a check any day of the week.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.