Forum / THIS, that, and the "Other."

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Sep 06, 11:40pm

THIS Literary Magazine is gearing up for our inaugural themed issue. Our first theme is "Other." The formal guidelines are--

Think of “other” as content and/or form. We encourage you to take risks with your submission, whether that means tackling an underrepresented topic in a traditional way or inventing an entirely new method of storytelling. We seek submissions outside the mainstream. We seek submissions that challenge us with a unique perspective. We want you to show us work that’s entirely unexpected on a topic you think deserves a nod from the literary world. We welcome the experimental and the form-challenging. We will consider written and visual work. Our only criterion is that your submission must speak in some way to the theme and that you submit your most well-written, well-presented work.

Theme:
    Other

Deadline:
    December 3, 2011.

Issue Publication:
    January/February 2012

Guidelines:
    Please submit only once. We welcome simultaneous submissions so long as you inform us immediately of acceptance elsewhere. Multiple submissions for the themed issue from the same author/artist will be deleted unopened and unread. We read for publication on a rolling basis and do our best to respond no later than five weeks from the date of your submission. Please do not query the editors for information on the status of your submission until eight weeks have passed.

--Send us your best and brightest "Others." I'm sure I can speak for Lacey, Cherise, Bill, and all the other lovely and talented folks associated with THIS when I say we'd love to see your take on this theme in the pages of THIS.

Get writing!

Joani

http://thisliterarymagazine.submishmash.com/submit/7437/account

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Sep 07, 12:30am

Very exciting theme!

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Sep 07, 03:05pm

Sounds like a great theme here--I'll do my best to get something in to you!

• Nicolette_apr_2012.thumb
    Nicolette Wong
    Sep 07, 07:30pm

THIS is a fabulous zine - great content & themes and attractive design.

• Thomas_pluck_-_author_photo.thumb
    Thomas Pluck
    Sep 08, 07:09pm

Count me in...

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Oct 22, 02:04pm

Thought I'd bring this call for submissions for our special issue "The Other" to the fore once more, as we're in the process of putting the Nov./Dec. issue together, and this special themed issue is the next we'll be publishing. We've received some great submits so far, but please send us a story, a poem, a piece of CNF if you haven't already. Keep 'em coming. Thanks!

PS: (Did you notice all my clever alliteration back there? ; )

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Oct 22, 03:27pm

a writer friend told me the other day that he thought all my short stories were fairy tales. that was the last straw for my submitting career. henceforth i shall only respond to straightforward calls for the submission of modern fairy tales. of course, "this" deserves an exception.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Oct 22, 07:35pm

Great focus. The themed issue will be a marvelous read.

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Oct 23, 04:17pm

My mind is already on whirl-- I think I'll try tackling a short story this time.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.