Forum / erasing entries on google search page

• Fictionaut%20possibility.thumb
    Bobbi Lurie
    Aug 04, 10:40pm

Does anyone know how to erase entries on Google search pages?

Some information is incorrect or private / not meant to be public. I have followed some guidelines on google but they do not work.

thanks to anyone who can help

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Aug 05, 12:14pm

Bobbi as far as I know the only way to keep things off google, etc, is to post them to private groups here. Otherwise I think it's public all the way. Maybe Jurgen could help with this question? Jurgen?

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Aug 05, 12:15pm

Oh-- as far as erasing them off google, if you take them down off fictionaut, they automatically erase on google after a while (about a week, I think)--

Bobbi Lurie
    Aug 05, 06:54pm

Susan, I wasn't referring to Fictionaut. I was referring to anything. Nevertheless I stopped writing responses to responses to my stories on the front page and have been backchanneling "thanks" to people due to fact that almost every "thank you" showed up on google.

But the thing I am referring to is being linked on google to something I don't want to be linked to (there are about 5 links which I really want to get off there--but can't find out how to do it)

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Aug 05, 07:56pm

Bobbi, Carson wrote good overview on Fictionaut/Google issues here: http://www.fictionaut.com/forums/general/threads/1184 -- worth quoting in full, see below. If you think there's anything we can do, send me an email with links to the pages in question and I'll take a look.

Google does index all the publicly posted stories on this site. It also indexes forum posts, and user profiles, and lots of other stuff. That's its job and that's a good thing.

If you take a story down or make it private, it's possible Google may still retain a cached version of it. I'm not sure how long their version is retained. It probably expires after the GoogleBot spiders the page again and notices its disappearance.

The role of Google's cache is also a good thing, in my opinion, because it lets you access a page if the original is unavailable, which could happen for a variety of reasons.

The rule of thumb on the internet is that if you don't want something public, don't post it publicly. Not even for a second. We built the mechanism for private groups and private stories so that you could have some control over visibility, but this gate is only managed by Fictionaut. If you open the gate, and Google or Bing or archive.org or Julian Assange makes a copy of your work, we can't necessarily make them delete it.

Bobbi Lurie
    Aug 05, 08:47pm

Dear Jurgen,

Thank you so much for the link.

The things I want to get rid of are replies etc. I never dreamt would be on the internet. I had no idea.

Nothing I posted on Fictionaut is a problem. I do feel odd that my comments on pages to others are public but now I know that happens and so I tend to send private emails to people re: their work instead. (I appreciate that Fictionaut allows these options)

Google is the problem. All the search engines are, I believe. For me they are. I'm getting increasingly paranoid.

Thank you again, Jurgen,

Bobbi

• You must log in to reply to this thread.