Forum / Paperclips vs. staples, emails vs. paper - your thoughts, please

• Img_0568.thumb
    Gill Hoffs
    Jun 30, 08:47am

Some literary journals, competitions, agents etc. specify in their guidelines whether they prefer staples or paperclips, folders or none, electronic submission or paper copy. For the ones that don't specify, what do you think best?

I've had something returned in the past with a note saying I'd picked wrongly - though the site didn't stipulate. Should I check prior to sending work with a wee email? I've always thought that would just clog up people's inboxes and turn them 'off' my work. Very interested in what my fellow fictionauters have to say on this.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jun 30, 02:18pm

Most of the best journals have few stipulations about format. Others have a detailed list, or at least make clear what they won't accept. In the case of the former, do what you like, observing normal standards for a clean MS: NO mispellings or typos; double space; good-sized margins.

If a piece gets returned for violating some
    unspecified standard, I'd assume they were too lazy or chickenshit to state the real reason, and cross them off my list for future submissions.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jun 30, 02:22pm

Oh, for paper copy, I'd skip the paper clips, staples and folders, and make sure your name is on every page along with the title and page number. And dont send an e-mail unless they specifically invite queries.

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Jun 30, 03:54pm

Gill,not sure how it is there but here I find that more and more places prefer electronic
    submission by either a submission manaager or email. Hugs, Mar

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 30, 04:51pm

What David said is sound advice ... and, lately, I've not had to use the mail for submissions ... less expense, more opportunity since so many are going to electronic submission.

Best of luck, eh?

• Img_0568.thumb
    Gill Hoffs
    Jun 30, 04:52pm

Thanks guys - will keep plugging away with what you said in mind.

• Kc%202.thumb
    Kathy Conde
    Jul 01, 04:45am

I've not seen any that want staples. Most request no staples or binding. I use nothing or just a paper clip or spring clip. Electronic is best if they offer it.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.