Discussion → Gloria Garfunkel New Co-Administrator

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Aug 03, 04:14am

Gary Percesepe has generously appointed me as co-administrator of this group. Here's the new, more detailed definition of the group:

Comic stories can be satiric, ironic, surreal, absurd, parody, and black or romantic comedy, as long as it engenders thoughtful humor about the human condition, not necessarily laugh out loud funny.

George Meredith's Essay on Comedy said:
    "One excellent test of the civilization of a country ... I take to be the flourishing of the Comic idea and Comedy; and the test of true Comedy is that it shall awaken thoughtful laughter."

In a comic story, the writer not only seeks to amuse, but to make the reader think about issues, often controversial. Comedy can meld the funny and sad, as well as other oppositional dichotomies. A good comic story doesn't just make you laugh, or smile, but also think.

NOTE: Please only post one story at a time on the main page to encourage diversity.

I'd like to know what others think of this definition and what you consider to be the qualities of a good comic story.

• You must be logged in to reply.