Discussion → Short Story Challenge for DECEMBER

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Dec 01, 01:44pm

Well I won here by default but I want to see some action here so glug down some early egg nog and get into the winter holiday spirit for December's story.

Okay, here we go: Under 1000 words, but within those words must be the words: yogurt, red suit, palm tree, sparkly hanging balls, and lowing cows. You are allowed to change one of the five items but you must throw in an even stranger replacement term.

How's that? Have fun!

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Dec 01, 04:35pm

what is "lowing cows"

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Dec 01, 08:23pm

That was Marcy posting from my computer -- I didn't know what a lowing cow was either, but I do know how to use Google:

1 Samuel 6:12
    Then the cows went straight up towards Beth Shemesh, keeping on the road and lowing all the way; they did not turn to the right or to the left. The rulers of the Philistines followed them as far as the border of Beth Shemesh.

Thanks for the challenge, Susan!

Susan Gibb
    Dec 01, 08:35pm

Hah! I just wanted a little background music for the story.

• Tux.thumb
    Gary Percesepe
    Dec 02, 05:06am

lowing cows also featured in the old chritmas carol "away in the manger," to wit: the cattle are lowing, the sweet baby sleeps," or somesuch--or am i imagining this?

Susan Gibb
    Dec 02, 05:35am

Gary, that's where they came from. I just closed my eyes and typed the first five things that came to mind and over the Thanksgiving holiday there was Christmas music playing on the radio so I think the cattle made it into my subconscious.

For those who don't know, I suspect "lowing" sounds like a contented "moo."

• You must be logged in to reply.