Discussion → Marilyn

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Apr 15, 12:55pm

"Sex is part of nature. I go along with nature.'-- MARILYN MONROE. Discuss the quoted aesthetic as found in famous (like our icon MM) works of literature.Hemingway? Stein? Roth? etc.

• Tux.thumb
    Gary Percesepe
    Apr 26, 08:29pm

anyone, anyone?

• Better_send_out_face.thumb
    James Robison
    Apr 29, 04:07pm

MM had that odd quality of mythic screen stars: she attracted light. She was luminous. Light is film so in any shot,even the early bit part films, she is the sun. We look at her. In Niagara she is both a bored selfish murderous girl in a magenta dress and a cinematic force more powerful that the falls. Her appeal is spookily like that of the falls--we are drawn to get closer and closer to both girl and the plunge down. All this is to say that when Norma Jean Baker argues sex is natural, it's nice and true, but when Marilyn Monroe says it, there's an in-built factor of tragedy, of loss, of nature as deadly force.

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Apr 30, 01:32pm

"All this is to say that when Norma Jean Baker argues sex is natural, it's nice and true, but when Marilyn Monroe says it, there's an in-built factor of tragedy, of loss, of nature as deadly force." Jim, this is so right on the money.It's the truth that is the truth about the truth. It perfectly explains everything about our cultural ping ponging like celebrity obsessed mentalities. The Good Man Jesus and the scoundrel Christ is the title of Philip Pullman's new book. After reading your sentence I think we can take it even further:the Good Man John and the Scoundrel Lennon.Pee Wee Herman and Paul Ruebens. Groucho?Woody Allen and Woody Allen.Jerry Lewis and the nutty professor. This could go on for days. Even though the subject was supposed to be about sex I got diverted.Kennedys anyone?Astute, my friend.So well put.You are my hero.Thanks for that great, great statement. It's pure poetry to me.

• You must be logged in to reply.