Discussion → Welcome, and something extra

• White.thumb
    Henry Standing Bear
    Oct 19, 09:10pm

Hey good folks! Thanks for hitching up to the Revolution John group here at Fictionaut. To show my appreciation and pleasure at having you join me, I'm going to add some backstory information exclusively here on the lit mag's name.

My maternal great-grandfather fought in the Revolutionary War and was nickednamed Revolutionary John Mullins. They put a plaque up in West Virginia about him and the whole nine yards. I'm proud of that, I'm proud he actually signed his census form as "Revolutionary John Mullins" and I'm just proud in general. I toyed with the idea of putting this information on the About section of the lit mag, but thought I'd only share it here, with you fine folks.

Here's some additional info I uncovered while researching my tangled ancestral roots:

Notes: Mullins family tradition indicates that the Mullins Family ca me to America from Ireland, thence to North Carolina, then Tennessee, then Eastern Kentucky and Southwestern Virginia. John Wesley Mullins is the earliest documented ancestor of the East Kentucky Mullins. He lived in 1790 on the Big Toe River, in the Morgan District of Burke Co., N C. In 1 796 he was in Carter Co., TN; and in 1799 in Grainger Co., TN. When families were migrating they often stopped for a year or more to raise crops before moving on in their search for land. Family tradition indicates that, during the revolutionary war, John's NC home was on the route that Col. William Campbell and his "Over the Mountain Men" took as they went in search of Col. Ferguson and the British Army who were coming to destroy the homes of the mountaineers. John took down his gun fr om the w all and joined Col. Campbell and his men, as they passed, on their way to King's Mountain where they fought a victorious battle against the British. Although he is not listed among the King's Mountain soldiers, John received three different pay vouchers for his services and a grant for 200 acres of land in Sullivan Co., TN (NC Land Grants Now in TN [1 77 8-1791] by Gardner and Cartright). John Mullins settled on Shelby Creek in Pike Co., KY by 1810 along with his son Solomon. He lived there until 1833 when his name first appears, along with that of his youngest son, John, Jr., on the Tax rolls of Russell Co., VA. He lived there, near his youngest son, John, Jr., on Holly Creek, which became part of Dickens on C o., VA when that county was created in 1880.

John Mullins became a legend in his life time. He told and retold stories of the Battle of King's Mountain and of his adventures in the wilderness. He was known as "Buttin John" Mullins because when fighting he would butt his opponent in the stomach. After the death of his wife , he came to live with his youngest son, John, Jr. It is not known exactly when his wife died, but it was apparently sometime in the 1840's since she is listed along with her husband on the 1840 Census of Russell C o., VA. She was probably buried near their old home at Clintwood, VA which was then Russell Co. (Now Dickenson Co., VA). Tradition indicates that John Wesley Mullins, Sr. was buried in a hollowed out poplar log. At that time coffins were not available and, without a sawmill, the materials for constructing coffins were not easily found.

• White.thumb
    Henry Standing Bear
    Oct 21, 03:15pm

Hey gang...I decided to include this information at the website. Hope you don't mind.

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Oct 30, 09:17pm

Enjoyed this muchly. Cheers to Revolutionary John Mullins. There's a good book in there.

• White.thumb
    Henry Standing Bear
    Oct 31, 08:19pm

Hey, ya never know, Marcus. Glad to see you here, hoss!

• You must be logged in to reply.