Discussion → Article in the New Yorker

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Nov 21, 07:44pm

marvelous article in the latest new yorker (online below), which focuses on two guys & shows a particular strength of this movement, whatever may become of it, namely that it's not centered on a leader or leaders but represents 21st century grassroots activism:

<blockquote>“I almost feel like I’m a ghost, or like I’m living in a dream, where my conversations with Kalle have manifested in reality,” he said. In mid-November, sixteen hours after someone created a short “Micah M. White” entry on Wikipedia, White nominated it for deletion. “Person is non-notable,” he wrote.</blockquote>

Read <a href="http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/11/28/111128fa_fact_schwartz#ixzz1eN2uYJCt">more here</a>.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Nov 22, 02:53am

Interesting.

These people feel familiar, but I'm thinking of Abbie Hoffman, Jerry Rubin, et al. To the google-minded who don't know about how the Yippies rode the peace movement to fame, infamy and book deals, you may want to look up the Youth International Party.

I am so amazed that the Occupy movement continues as it does without individual attachment of names and faces, but a crowd, everchanging in makeup and origin with a universal purpose, clearly stated without having to be defined with an -ism.

Soon enough, there will be those who will learn how to translate this energy into meaningful response through political action, but what a joy to watch the energy grow by degree and infect people who never, ever dream of political expression.

• You must be logged in to reply.