Discussion → Group Project

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Jul 30, 03:01pm

I'm relatively new at fictionaut, but was curious about "group projects" listed by some groups. I'm trying to think about how to be more responsive to the actual pieces posted here. I have a personal blog I've kept private and am retooling it to open up for general reading. What if we did something like the 52/250 project only on our own blogs, with links posted here in a thread when we post a new story. I wrote 100 stories in 100 days once as part of an inter-blog challenge (some people did 100 paintings) and it was exhilarating. I'm up for something like that again, expecting some/most will be terrible, but I'll walk away with a few gems. Any ideas from a group-building writing challenge perspective like that? It's very easy to create a blogger blog just for that purpose, as a playing area.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Jul 30, 03:28pm

I'm a member of a private writing group here, Gloria - and would certainly be interested in joining other private groups. If this group were private - meaning that the pieces we posted here did not show on the public wall - I'd like to join and submit unpublished flash work to it. The group would then function as a workshop.

I do like 52/250 and submitted work there, but I consider that work - from an editor's standpoint - as published.

I never post - or nearly never - unpublished work to the public wall. I'm one of those who treat work posted here - or at blogs, facebook, personal websites as published work. All editors, of course, don't treat work posted to FN - and the like - as published, but many do.

Something to think about. At any rate, I'm glad you've started this group.

• Updated_bio.thumb
    James Claffey
    Jul 30, 03:32pm

sounds like a great idea, gloria. and sam, i wonder about posting my unpublished work on the main wall, but i've never run into an issue over it yet. still, it may happen.

Sam Rasnake
    Jul 30, 03:41pm

At Blue Fifth Review - if we want to publish a piece that has, for example, been posted here at FN - is to ask that writers either take the work down or post a credit and link here.

Here's the specific guideline at BFR:

"The editors welcome unsolicited submissions of poetry and flash but do not consider previously published works. Please send no work that has appeared previously in print or online. The editors will consider work that has been posted on a personal or public blog, Myspace, Facebook page, or workshop site with the following stipulation: Should the submission be accepted at Blue Fifth Review, the work should be removed from all posts and archives. If, however, publication credit, listing Blue Fifth Review, is added to the posted page of the online site, the work may remain in all posts and archives."

http://bluefifthreview.wordpress.com/submission-guidelines/

I'm always happy to have a link placed in the FN page and credit listed. That's good for both the writer and BFR. I prefer not to ask writers to take down a piece. Truly. But then, our policy is clear up front that our preference is to consider work that is unpublished.

~

There's a great deal of disagreement among editors and writers about this. There are also many variations on this type of policy in different venues.

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Jul 30, 03:46pm

I suppose if I started a private microfiction group, then there would be no point in keeping this "unpublished." This could be for microfiction in general and the other the Microfiction Workshop Group, kept private. Can anyone join a private group or is it by invitation only? And is it listed with the other groups? Will look into that.

Sam Rasnake
    Jul 30, 03:51pm

Private groups are by invitation only. They aren't listed with the other groups.

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Jul 30, 07:04pm

Something to consider down the road. Right now I'd like to make this group as active as possible. I like that you posted links to your published microfiction. That could open up the possibility for more learning from published pieces and broaden the involvement of members. We could discuss published microfiction pieces, why they work, and what the author thinks about writing them.

Sam Rasnake
    Jul 31, 02:57am

I'd like to - and will - comment on all pieces posted here. Just letting you know that I'll only post to the public wall or public groups works of mine that have been published - to keep them available for all venues.

But there are many who will post unpublished work here, and as a writer, I'm fine with that and understand it completely.

I'm glad the group is here.

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Jul 31, 10:30am

So are you saying you'd be happy to have this group opened to published work so you and others could mingle your work with the unpublished work?

• You must be logged in to reply.