Discussion → Keep the peace

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Aug 10, 11:49pm

I could write this as a microfiction, but why call it fiction if it happened? As Mary Karr said, controversy, that there is controversy, re: fiction and nonfiction, is bullshit. If it happened, it's nonfiction; if you made it up, it's fiction. Karr said or wrote that in The Paris Review interview with her.

Holly Croskey (if she Googles herself, she'll find herself here) arrived at a sober party (was it the party where she wore the fur on New Year's then went off to meet her "real" friends before the midnight hour?) (No, Sandra Cowing hosted the New Year's party each year, and this party was at Nancy Evans's house) (not wearing a mink that night), a realtor, dating an ex-NFL football player then living in Ohio and she in Minnesota, her children Amerasian, her husband an anesthesiologist from China, her green eyes from Iowa. Whatever. I said, "Holly, your face is so serene." She might have thought that I was being sarcastic about Bill Wilson group, but I wasn't being sarcastic. To me, serene was an adjective not coined by Bill Wilson, and it was the right one for the occasion. Holly said, "It'll happen to you, too, one day, you know." I thought, what are we talking about? Botox? I was 36 or so. Holly must have been 42. It stayed with me that she said that, "It'll happen to you, too, one day, you know." Realtor. Later I thought of writing her into my novel about Texas, though I was in Minnesota by then. I planned to name her Pumper. Pumper the realtor who sold houses, houses in the boom, caused by divorce, in A.A. I planned to write about Pumper, "Her face was trapped in peace."

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Aug 11, 08:36am

Submitted as a story unrelated to M ILLNESS.

• Luis Lemus
    Aug 23, 01:23am

Looking forward to T'x novel.

• You must be logged in to reply.