What books/authors do people like? To get started:

David Leavitt
    Kathy Acker
    JT Leroy (I know...)
    Djuna Barnes

• Img_0658.thumb
    Marshall Moore
    Apr 25, 07:10pm

Is it nepotistic to list writers we know? :-)

• Jane.thumb
    Jane Flett
    Apr 26, 06:07pm

Never! In that case, I add Kirsty Logan for sexy lady short stories, always a delight.

• Jane.thumb
    Jane Flett
    Apr 26, 06:14pm

Also:

A Boy's Own Story, Edmund White
    Today, I'm yours, Mary Gaitskill

• Img_0658.thumb
    Marshall Moore
    Apr 29, 02:41am

There's so much out there. The ones that mattered the most to me early on were Patricia Nell Warren's The Front Runner and Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City books. Paul Monette's books are gorgeous, if justifiably bleak, and I read pretty much all the nonfiction that was being published back in the late '90s and early '00s. I figured out Clive Barker was gay years before he publicly came out. He probably had at least as much to do with my work as anybody else. I never knew what to make of Dennis Cooper. He goes places where even I am reluctant to venture, and that is saying a lot. And Neal Drinnan has written several amazing novels that more people ought to read. He's a very sharp social critic, and he knows how to put words together.

Today? If you're looking for something good to read, check out Trebor Healey's two new ones (their publishers agreed to release them on the same day, which is unusual): Faun, and A Horse Named Sorrow. He just won Lambda Literary's Mid-Career Prize. Mitch Cullin is an author with a slightly lower profile but an interesting publishing history, and he's worth tracking down, especially his novels The Cosmology of Bing and Undersurface. There's a quiet intensity in his work that may kind of escape you at first, and then you suddenly realize how good he is.

Two others, and then I'll shut up: Haruki Murakami, Sputnik Sweetheart. Taichi Yamada, In Search of a Distant Voice.

(Full disclosure: I am the publisher who reprinted the e-book versions of Neal and Trebor's earlier books.)

• You must be logged in to reply.