Discussion → Hypertext Purpose

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Dec 03, 07:13am

Nice to see a bit more interest in the new story I put in here as an example. "Maude Nichols" is really the popular concept of hypertext, where a clear list of choices is given so a reasonable decision can be made. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that the reader knows where the story is going from there, but he does know enough to give him a hint, and more than the traditional book that doesn't give him any clue as to what's on the next page.

I'm wondering if this is a more "user-friendly" way of introducing people into the hypertext environment.

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Dec 03, 07:29am

Maybe I don't necessarily mean "purpose" here, or am referring to the "purpose" of a link itself.

Coming off the Matchbook discussion on Plotless Fiction, I think I'm wondering here about connections. I've used hypertext not only in the "what happens next?" mode, but in several other ways; to develop background, to enhance possibilities, moods, to introduce a different point of view, etc. Advancing plot, then, is just one purpose.

• Flawntnewsmall.thumb
    Finnegan Flawnt
    Dec 05, 05:27pm

that's a helpful comment, susan, thanks. in the little (very little) that i've done so far, i find the hypermode lends itself easily to transcend plot-ness.

• You must be logged in to reply.