Discussion → Deborah's Before

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Aug 08, 04:21pm

Deborah, could you start out with some context and what kind of feedback you are looking for. Everyone will have a thread for their work. What's your goal for the piece and how many sections do you expect?

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Aug 08, 07:37pm

Everything positive people say is true, but I'm confused. Is Ruby a single mother and where are her kids when she's out? Are there just two and how old are they: 'why isn;t Samantha eating? I'd like a better balance between home and bar life and whether she works and how the hell she has time to spend leisurly in a bar and why is she so horny rather than cautious as a mother. I'd like to see them texting and calling and bugging her at the bar and then ignoring her at home. I'd like to see more integration. And where does she get her money? This seems too fractured to me. But you can ignore me. Just my thoughts. gg

• Deborah_picture.thumb
    Deborah Oster Pannell
    Aug 09, 12:50am

Ruby is a single mother. She turns tricks for a living. She is obviously very fucked up, and there may be a back story as to why these guys kidnapped her kids, there may not. If yes, then I am looking to unearth and reveal that as the narrative continues. It should be a bit of a mystery to the reader, and a psychological unfolding of her traumatized state as the narrative develops.

The plot begins after her kids were unexpectedly taken during a drunken evening. She called the police, and then she was taken in for questioning. This relationship is beginning with this cop who is not quite above board himself. She is out with him, because her kids are missing and she is in shock. There is no leisure here. He is stepping in to console her, or something. They are both damaged souls, drawn to one another during an extreme circumstance.

There is no balance. "Home life" is a relative concept for this family. She feeds her kids hot dogs and fruit loops. Her daughter isn't eating because... well, this situation is a well of dysfunction. I think her kids are about 5 and 7. I haven't yet decided if they get killed in this story.

I am definitely exploring some dark terrain here. I do not intend this to be a rosy picture. My goal with the story is to establish each of these characters at an extremely low point in their lives, and how in a weird, fucked up way, their coming together brings some measure of redemption to each of them.

I am interested in the narrative of characters who are down at the lowest place they could be at, and then, by some form of grace, are given an opportunity to redeem themselves. My goal is to create characters who, although they each do reprehensible things, are somehow able to induce a sense of compassion in us, the readers, and are somehow able to find some measure of love, however imperfect with one another.

I think that's a good place to start...

• Deborah_picture.thumb
    Deborah Oster Pannell
    Aug 09, 02:28am

Oh, and I'm not sure exactly how many sections to expect in total. I have three written already. The first two are fairly intact (although I can already see some edits forming in my head from your questions, Gloria) and the third needs some considerable work. Beyond that, I think the arc I'm imagining will require at least three or more additional sections, but until I get a better handle on the back story questions, I won't be sure...

• You must be logged in to reply.