Discussion → Ann's XAM

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Aug 08, 07:45am

1. What does XAM mean? I have no clue.

2. Is this the first section of the series. It has to be to be posted here.

3. Answer these questions and I'll read with enthusiasm.

4. Oh, and does it make sense to number them? How many are there? gg

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Aug 08, 08:59am

From the author foreword:

When I wrote XAM: Paragraph Series in 1998, I was in those cities and locations cited in the headers of these passages. I see the pieces as related prose poems—not as verses, per se, not as short stories, and not as essays or essayettes. A prose poem, as I have practiced it, is two pages or fewer in length and uses language, rather than temporal events, as the first given. Glimpses of action, person (not as in fiction, “character”), and scene may also appear in them. Prose poems are less calculated than fiction and less tightly crafted than a short story or short poem; they are less pre-meditated. Perhaps they are more rhythmic. My friend, Michael J. Kelly, admitted to finding the rhythms in XAM to be difficult to follow. It reminds me that rhythm is something also personal. The best rhythmic writing would be “beatest.” Yuan is my codeword for today.

Ann Bogle
    Aug 08, 09:02am

14 prose poems

One per page, not numbered, with headers

Lithokons by mIEKAL aND

30 pages, color or b/w

Xexoxial Editions

Publisher of Hannah Weiner's WEEKS

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Aug 08, 02:47pm

This is extremely helpful to me in orienting myself in space and time and learning about prose poetry. I still don't know what Xam is supposed to mean though. Sorry if I seem so thick. I just need a lot of context. Number them for me, too, so I know were I am and can refer back to them. thanks. gg

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Aug 08, 07:58pm

OK. I sort of get it. It's a series of prose poetry about sound. But this isn't going to work for this group at over three thousand words a segment. Each segment or chapter must be self-contained and no longer than 800 words. That is the max. It is all I can read at once. It also leaves open the option for a segment as future flash fiction. This as it is is innappropriate for this group. Think FLASH. I can't read this through.

Ann Bogle
    Aug 08, 08:44pm

That is the text of XAM: Paragraph Series without the art that was published with it. The 14 prose poems are in one place on that page. Eject if it doesn't fit the criteria for the group. It fits in other places.

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Aug 09, 12:32am

I would never "eject." Can you post each of the 14 separately on each main page so we can give it our full focus? 'that was the intention of the group, not hitting us all at once with the whole thing, slow, savoring, piece by piece. 'that's the only way I can absorb and give feedback. Otherwise, I'm totally lost and your work doesn't fir the group model. gg

Ann Bogle
    Aug 10, 04:16am

Decided not to post each prose poem separately. I will stay in group and post if I write a flash series. Thanks!

• You must be logged in to reply.