Discussion → Is this group for you?

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Aug 08, 04:24am

Group Description

We've all seen them scattered among the flash fiction, these "little" segments of "enormous" stories trying to pass for small. I admit I'm trying to do it myself with a story I really, really want read but no one here will read 7000 pages. So I am begging you, all of you writing serial stories with numbers in the title, stop camouflaging them among shorter stories and bring them here. We'll treat them right and get them read. With two caveats: Sections must be no longer than 800 words --revise, revise, revise -- and you post them only here and nowhere else. Post them in order so we aren't confused. Post one chapter/section per main page of group.

Anything longer has a place on groups for longer stories and novel excerpts. Not here. Not with short stories. Our eyes glaze ove with boredom when we see a numbered excerpt among authentically short stories. Here, we welcome you, but with a smidgen of criticism if we think your are too long-winded etc. Expect more criticism here than elsewhere because you are long on a short story website and may require some twelve step work.

If this sounds good, remove all numbered stories from elsewhere and bring them here. Now. You know who you are, which includes myself.

• Deborah_picture.thumb
    Deborah Oster Pannell
    Aug 08, 10:51am

Thanks for the invite to this group, Gloria! I am assuming this is related to After the Fall Pt 1 and Pt 2 that I already published here... So, I should take them out of the other groups and just leave them here? Is that the requested protocol?

One at a time, right? The first one is 819 words. Is it OK to leave it as is? How strict is the 800 rule? :)

Ha ha... trying to be "good" here...

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Aug 08, 12:44pm

Great questions. It's up to you about keeping it elsewhere but I'd advise pulling them, working them here with feedback and then decide if each can stand alone as a short story and repost if the answer is yes.
    As for 800, I'd say strict because of this: Mine was 845 and I thought it hypocritical and I started slashing unecessary darlings and within an hour got it down to a much better 800 and didn't miss a word. The word limit helped. I you are lean as you can get, we'll send you to 12 step boot camp for the 19 extraneous words we ferret out. You get the last say, though. In solitary. Love to have you and finally read your story one piece at a time in order. gg

• You must be logged in to reply.