Forum / Ms. form: crotting

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Apr 17, 07:21pm

In preparing a double-spaced, 11 or 12 pt. short story ms., is it correct not to indent the initial paragraph of each story? There is crotting throughout many of the stories. I know the traditional form is not to indent the beginning of a new crot and to use centered ellipses only where there is a page break.

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Apr 18, 01:40pm

I feel like such a dope--What is a "crot?"

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Apr 18, 03:21pm

Me too. Never heard the term.

Ann Bogle
    Apr 18, 04:13pm

It may be a Lish term. (Someone check me.) A crot is the group of paragraphs separated by an extra white space/hard return.

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Apr 18, 08:57pm

"Lish term" sounds like "Lie group" (that's algebra, and nobody outside mathematics knows what it is either...)

i found it on <a href="http://grammar.about.com/od/c/g/crot.htm">about.com</a> -

«A verbal bit or fragment used as an autonomous unit to create an effect of abruptness and rapid transition.»

Susan Gibb
    Apr 18, 09:01pm

Hmm. Now that I know what it is, I still don't know what to do with it!

Susan Gibb
    Apr 18, 09:01pm

Hmm. Now that I know what it is, I still don't know what to do with it!

Ann Bogle
    Apr 19, 09:20pm

I have decided to indent initial paragraphs because I like it that way, to include a double line space (double hard return) without ellipses to indicate a new crot, to indent initial paragraphs of crots, and to use centered ellipses when the end or beginning of a crot falls at the page break. Thanks for considering it.

Susan Gibb
    Apr 19, 09:47pm

Tried this out, Ann, and it looks nice. Thank you for posting!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.