Forum / Lost postings on the main wall...

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Oct 29, 01:18am

I realize that a need may exist to list icons for new groups, but I find it difficult to understand why the wall needs to list newest groups that are months old. If ... we are losing five posted works on the newest listings' wall – and that's already happened – to make room for the ad banner, the same should apply to newest groups’ listings. That list could easily be shortened, and should be. I don't understand why the five listing slots were removed - moving from 15 to 10.

We have many more members now - making it difficult to follow so many - also making it difficult for long-time FNers to establish reading connections with the new members. Knowing who and what to read... writers we will want to read, need to read, but can't find. Many new groups have been added as well. And the groups do have a major place, but they can't be more important than the works posted here. I really don't think new members come here just to join groups. They come here to post work.

I definitely don’t recommend cutting the present listings of new members, by the way. That's far more important than newest groups – especially groups that are months old.

From my point of view - and it's only one ... I do realize that - the real value at Fictionaut isn't the groups - and it isn't even the members ... The real value is found in the works that are posted here. Not one of my students is a member at Fictionaut or the groups here, but they all read works posted here - on a weekly ... and even daily basis.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Oct 29, 03:35am

Sam is right. The greatest value of Fictionaut is twofold, for me anyway. I have exposure here, valuable feedback for my own work, plus the opportunity to read and comment on some of the best writing available online.

I don't understand why the front page listing was shortened, but I have noticed a dramatic cut in the length of time any work remains there ... with a corresponding drop in the number of hits that work receives.

I suppose, like everything else, it's a game of numbers and it's obvious that Fictionaut is gaining notoriety. Change is inevitable, I'm sure, and it's been a rare treat to be involved, but at some point posting work here while continuing to be active with commentary on the work of others will have a diminishing return for the time invested.

• 0804d24.thumb
    Matthew A. Hamilton
    Oct 29, 03:36am

Some important points here. Yes, my stories get swallowed up and so do some of my favorite writers.

What if there was a set up like FB? For example, the writer that you follow, say they post a story and when they do, a follower is notified, similar to when a friend posts a message on your FB wall.

Just a thought.

• 2161777446_a91102ea45.thumb
    Matt Dennison
    Oct 29, 04:56am

I hear what you guys are saying, but when you access "Most Recent" stories, each page is 30 listings long (old being about 15), allowing one to remain on page 1 for (hold on, let me do the math...) approx. twice as long (assuming steady flow of new work).

For me, "Most Recent" works as the true Homepage/starting point of FN, and I imagine that's true for many readers. I mean, where else you gonna go first?

Also, if you do decide to first go to Recommended stories, each page there is also 30 titles/page = potentially twice as long on Page 1 of Recommended compared to prior set-up.

Another change I've noticed: the ability to have more than one work on Page 1 of Most Recent, if you are so inclined (I post something for a while, take it down, if unpublished, and post another--wouldn't want to appear common, now!)

I think the 30-count page is designed to handle the increased flow of new members, and as such I appreciate it.

It's a good thing (imo)
    --Martha Dennison

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Oct 29, 11:51am

That does work for you Matt, but not for me, nor for new members. I don't like moving beyond the base page. Most probably don't. I've used that feature in the past, but prefer not to.

At any rate, I noticed more entries on the main wall, and that's much better - even more than we had before. Great. Thanks a bundle Jurgen and Carson. That's a big help - especially to new members.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Oct 29, 01:07pm

Ditto ... gracias.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.