Forum / THE NEW ADVERTS

• Pub%20bio%20pic.thumb
    Cherise Wolas
    Oct 24, 11:15pm

While I don't love the idea of having advertisements on FN, I do understand the thought behind it, and largely find them inoffensive, and it's kind of a nice thing to see books out there from indie presses getting additional eyeballs.

BUT perhaps the adverts can avoid having authors' photos?

Just a thought.

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Oct 25, 08:58pm

Cherise, as I predicted when I first saw the ads, it took a day or so to get used to their presence. My first thought was that in writing critiques and providing reading material, I'm helping these other writers gain income and influence by fueling a medium for their ads, that these are echelons not altogether based on talent, based also on tracking and circumstance, and the exceptions are more important than the rule. On the second or third day of the ads, I realized that the writers who advertise have a different dream of legitimacy for writing than I do, and I can still support it. I accepted the ads like a wave of people who had joined the site. I laughed because it's rare that I buy a book. My apartment's many bookshelves are filled to the inch. If I decide to expand and buy more shelves (there is more wall space), I'll have turned a new corner in my role as highly trained consumer!

• Pub%20bio%20pic.thumb
    Cherise Wolas
    Oct 25, 09:03pm

I agree Ann in many ways. I support the concept as well, and have gotten used to the ads, but there is one ad up there with an author's photo and it just drives me mad... he looks like he posed for a mug shot. The rest of the ads, showing books, or quotes, I've gotten used to their presence and it's amazing how quickly one's eye scans past them, after checking them out. But it's the mug shot photo (and I assume there will be more in a second wave of adverts) that I dislike greatly. On a site devoted to words, I don't want to be forced to look at mug shot photos I don't want to look at!

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Oct 25, 09:08pm

I also noticed in this new phase - if I'm not mistaken - that the pieces posted to the general shrunk from 15 posts to now 10.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Oct 25, 09:08pm

...that should be general wall ...

• 2161777446_a91102ea45.thumb
    Matt Dennison
    Oct 25, 09:46pm

I think that "mug shot" is Bret Favre. He's been acting up, lately...

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Oct 25, 10:01pm

Sam, you're right. Along with the commercials, the exposure time for posted work on the front page was significantly reduced because the column's length was cut. I believe it was a reduction from fifteen to ten. Subsequently, on a busy day, your work could well disappear before it's ever seen.

Like Ann, and because I'm no longer in the work force and over-compensated, I seldom buy a book. I'm close to some excellent libraries, so I can get what I need. I don't feel guilty because, in my lifetime, I've bought thousands of books.

Either way, I don't suppose the present slump in literary book sales is my fault exclusively, if at all. Nope, I won't take the heat for that one. You can blame me for a lot of problems in the world today. I'll own up to a lot, but as for that ... find another patsy.

It wasn't me.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Oct 26, 12:53am

Now the "mug shot" is showing up on my page, Cherise, trying to upstage the bear.

The bear is better looking.

• Pub%20bio%20pic.thumb
    Cherise Wolas
    Oct 26, 01:59am

Exactly David!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.