Forum / Short Story vs Flash Fiction

• tea kay
    Sep 10, 01:21pm

I am interested in writing and reading short stories. I'm not - so far - interested in micro shorts or flash fiction.

My impression after only a few days is that this community is heavily favored by readers/writers of flash fiction and short scenes - anything a few hundred words at most.

My question is: is that an accurate impression? Perhaps there's something I'm missing?

This is the story I just posted! http://www.fictionaut.com/stories/kate-thompson/volume

~t'k

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Sep 10, 01:35pm

It's an accurate impression, Tea. That's just the nature of the beast. This site is more focused on flash and micro - I've posted two. There's also a world of poetry here. That's the form I favor.

There are several groups at FN that are devoted to longer works. Explore the groups section on the front page.

And welcome to FN, by the way.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Sep 10, 02:22pm

It may not be that the site is favored so much by writers of flash-- though there many good ones here--as that there's a demonstrated preference for reading flash. With the exception of a very few pieces, the most read are less than a thousand words long. The reasons for this have been argued in earlier threads on The Forum. Again, with a few exceptions, even writers who prefer to write in longer forms have tended to capitulate to the preference and largely restricted their F'naut work to shorter pieces, or carved up longer pieces for easier consumption.

• tea kay
    Sep 10, 02:33pm

Sam - thanks for the welcome!

David - I noticed the same, RE what is most read. I do get that one... :)

I'll look at the groups, good idea.

~t'k

• You must log in to reply to this thread.