Forum / Cultural differences regarding humor

• 2161777446_a91102ea45.thumb
    Matt Dennison
    Aug 20, 05:15pm

To fully understand the nature of humor, it is essential to have a thorough grounding in its varied forms.

Consider:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzoLja5UI0I

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    Aug 20, 06:09pm

When I was a guest of Korea during the Chinese-UN War (1950 - ' 53), we were repeatedly warned the Japanese and Koreans regard pain as funny. One pamphlet note: "If you are changing a tire and the Jeep slips off the jack and barks your knuckles, expect onlooker laughter. Do not throw wrench."

Matt Dennison
    Aug 20, 07:34pm

I remember someone saying: The essence of humor is someone else's discomfort.

Don't know if it was original or well-known, but it pretty much rings true.

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    Aug 21, 03:21pm

Matt: I've studied the humor subject for a few years and the quote is right on. I've boiled humor down to two things: 1.] Surprise or a "twist". 2.] Making the reader think, "Thank God that didn't happen to me." That's where "someone else's discomfort" comes in.

The worst thing a writer can do is add a promo line that reads something like "this is a humorous little ditty" or submit a story with a disclaimer "I write humor". It's a negative that makes the reader or editor think, "Oh, yeah -- we'll see about that!"

Matt Dennison
    Aug 21, 03:32pm

Exactly.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.