Forum / Just visiting today after a lazy day off

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Jun 17, 04:11am

Hello, Fictionaut writers, readers, and friends:

I just feel like saying hi after a gap in communication, participation, and contribution. I miss my feeling of daily and often energizing connection here. I have been recuperating from a broken left wrist. I am typing rather rapidly with a removable cast still wrapped around my left lower arm. I ended up having it treated more simply than was suddenly sprung upon me as urged -- with a probably needless surgery that I dodged. So far so good in terms of healing. Walk-in urgent care, the emergency room, and an ortho walk-in center have provided the best care. I hope all of you are doing well and considering your contributions as still thriving in writing and life. Please let me know if there are online locations you have found that feature the short story especially. I would also like to read recommendations for scholarly publications, especially online, that examine short story and creative writing scholarship. Weigh in and suggest how you all have been doing in general. I hope it has been a welcome year so far! ~Ann

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jun 17, 03:29pm

Welcome back, with hopes for a speedy and freshening recovery, Ann. You're missed when not around.

best

david

Ann Bogle
    Jun 21, 11:47am

Nice to see you here and read you're here, David.

I heard from Marcus Speh who has asked me to write a blurb for his new book, and I look forward to receiving it and reading it and adding my commendation. I think most of my second book -- not truly second, you know how these articles get numbered apart from order of composition -- _Clarity or Enough_ and still want to finalize it as a completed book with an editor's discretion. A copy editor Bruce Johnson knows (Rob -- I feel loopy in forgetting his last name) provided final touches for a print version of _Country Without a Name_ that Veery Imprints still expects to publish. Then Rob got an offer to work at FSG! And Bruce got bumped from freelance at Workman to Rizzoli! The world is at work. I need to add marks to these statements. ~Ann

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Jun 22, 04:58pm

Hi Ann--always good to hear your voice, and I'm sending you many, many well wishes for a blessed and quick recovery. The world needs Ann Bogle.

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Jun 25, 09:48pm

I came here today, too, after a long absence. Actually, I do check in regularly and read around a little here and there. Today, someone contacted me to ask if I had any memories of Metazen - they had just interviewed Frank Hinton (who originally invited me to Fictionaut). I checked his Facebook page: last post 2013. When my publisher asked for people who might blurb something about "Gisela" that book Ann mentioned, which has been too long coming without arriving, I thought of you guys first - Darryl and Ann, in fact. They're both here in so far as anyone is here. Memories are created and lost and found again. It is peculiar for me to see how all this happens without any ink without parchment. I don't really write any longer nor do I participate in any online conversations but the memories are sweet, most of them. @Ann @Darryl this book of flashes, "Gisela", may not be your cup of tea. I'm not even sure it's my cup of tea anymore. Anything written 2 or more years ago begins to fade, the eye of my inner attention can no longer hold it. Perhaps all this remembering is a game we play with ourselves because what counts is not the past or the present but the future. This is, as Kierkegaard says, where the pain lies: “The most painful state of being is remembering the future, particularly the one you'll never have.” Anyway, I'm beginning to remember my future and you're in it.

Ann Bogle
    Jul 01, 09:30am

I have recurring thoughts about Metazen. I remain glad that the blog has stayed online. Does anyone know what has happened to Frank Hinton or the journal that went offline and perhaps disappeared?

There needs to be an infusion of excitement.

Something needs to reinstruct us.

I noticed that _Conjunctions_ is publishing a themed issue about friendship termed Affinity. This is as if to say forget writing a real book or story about the subject. It's already covered by that journal.

No, it's not covered so blithely. So obediently to forebears who wrote less well than we wrote and who now do not even write.

• Samuel Derrick Rosen
    Jul 01, 12:06pm

"this is, as Kierkegaard says, where the pain lies: “The most painful state of being is remembering the future, particularly the one you'll never have.” Anyway, I'm beginning to remember my future and you're in it"

I identify.

• Samuel Derrick Rosen
    Jul 01, 12:07pm

In fact you could write a whole poem around that sentence.

• 242571683_10161684842776030_7257569444107088687_n.thumb
    Dulce Maria Menendez
    Jul 01, 01:14pm

Hi Ann.

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Jul 01, 10:58pm

The nostalgic piece in "realpants" appeared: http://realpants.com/metazen/ - enjoy. Christopher Allen and Frank Hinton are both Fictionaut veterans.

@SamuelDR Kierkegaard has. I think that's probably why he's remembered, because he wasn't just a philosopher but a poet.

@Ann This reminds me of the many memoir flashes you've published here. I cannot recall any of them (entirely my fault - I cannot remember much of anything once it's passed through my system) but I remember the impact these titanic shards made on me. It makes me realize, as does the interview with Frank Hinton on his brainchild, Metazen, that the mental bridges, which connect us with the past are both frail and forceful. If this past is virtual, well, that makes the whole thing even more ethereal.

Good day everyone out there.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Jul 01, 11:24pm

Hello, Ann.

Enjoyed the realpants article.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jul 02, 12:25pm

Hi Marcus.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.