Forum / Question re novel excerpts

• Sandyebner.thumb
    Sandy Ebner
    Apr 04, 05:17am

Hi all,

Any thoughts on publishing portions of a novel before it's complete? I can't think of a downside, but would welcome any comments, particularly from editors.

Thx in advance, SE

• Tolkien's_grave.thumb
    Wesley Baines
    May 06, 03:50pm

What are your plans for the method of publication? Do you mean self-publishing in a serial format, or perhaps simply web-publishing on a blog? Because doing any of the above can be a -great- way to gain initial readership and allow people a taste of your writing.

Just don't get too comfortable in that. Once you're known, move on to bigger things, publishing whole novels through publishing houses.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    May 06, 04:17pm

It's not wise to expose a novel to criticism before it's finished, especially on the internet where there are a few very intelligent people with no good intention and nothing better to do than to tell you what's wrong with it, when they don't really know.

Positive feedback is fine when you can find it and I don't mean to suggest that you are the type of person to be discouraged easily, but I would suggest that you finish the novel before you expose it.

However, if you have nerve and the ability to ignore even the most subtle negative rumble, by all means, post it.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.