Forum / One more recommendation...

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Feb 19, 04:08pm

I don't do Facebook, but my wife tells me that chatter in Facebook could possibly supplant the usual critics for film, TV, music, etc. Avoiding chatter has been a lifelong habit and ignoring critics a personal choice, so forgive me if I'm contributing to the redundancy by making these recommendations here.

I finished viewing the second season of House of Cards on Netflix and would recommend it without reservation. If you haven't yet viewed the series, by all means... go for it. The original British production was a classic by any measure, a chilling look at the kind of politician that would make Shakespeare salivate to dramatize.

Kevin Spacey is an excellent actor and he does his character justice, a la mode New South, replete with charm, disarming accent and all the grand and faux social graces, the mask concealing a disposition that has an equivalent in nature, a honey badger, known for its aggression and peculiar predilection to attack at groin level. Francis Underwood is the moral equivalent of a modern Caligula, but with more brains than his Roman counterpart.

I love this series.

This would be the second season of three if it follows the model of its British predecessor. If you haven't seen any of it yet, you might want to watch the British version first. It's definitely a treat and won't at all detract from your viewing of the American series.

• Wince_cover2.thumb
    Barry Basden
    Feb 19, 05:00pm

You don't do facebook. I don't do netflix. But I'll likely see it somewhere after it's sold...

• Image.thumb
    Charlotte Hamrick
    Feb 19, 07:20pm

Barry, check your local library. Mine has season 1 of the Netflix production. And the entire a British production. And it's free. :)

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Feb 19, 07:31pm

Libraries are the spine of this fuzzy world in literature and the arts. Support your library. If you don't like your library... support mine:

http://www.cuyahogafallslibrary.org/

• Image.thumb
    Charlotte Hamrick
    Feb 20, 01:37am

I love my library. I borrow books and DVDs all the time.

• Wince_cover2.thumb
    Barry Basden
    Feb 20, 04:35am

Thanks. I'll check out my new library. The one in the small town I just moved from would not have it. Not even close.

• Panama_hat.thumb
    Nonnie Augustine
    Feb 20, 03:50pm

I agree with you completely on both versions of House of Cards, although I thought the British original more "delicious." My brother and I've just started Season 2 and we are loving it. In an effort to improve my cultural literacy, I've begun, finally, watching Breaking Bad. Holy cannoli, I had no idea what I was missing!

• Image.thumb
    Charlotte Hamrick
    Feb 20, 11:26pm

Oh, Nonnie. You're in for a new addiction with BB !

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Feb 21, 02:26am

Nonnie, got to agree on the Brit version, all daggers and smiles. Spacey's Francis is a bit more dark.

Breaking Bad is a whole nuther smoke, great stuff.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.